• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Partition Nexus 5

I've search the internet and didnt find any how-to. Is there a way to split up the internal storage memory? I want the phone to see one partition as internal storage and second as an external sdcard.

I want to do this so when I do factory resets it wont delete my personal files.

Thank You

It's almost a moot point. I think to accomplish what you want, it would require root, which would require a custom recovery.

The thing is, with a custom recovery, you can factory reset via the custom recovery (not through the phone settings) and it will not touch your internal storage. Unless you go to the advanced wipe options and specifically tell it to wipe the internal storage.

So basically, if you were going to go through the rooting process, the partitioning would essentially be unnecessary as you'd already have accomplished your goal via a custom recovery.

It's almost a moot point. I think to accomplish what you want, it would require root, which would require a custom recovery.

The thing is, with a custom recovery, you can factory reset via the custom recovery (not through the phone settings) and it will not touch your internal storage. Unless you go to the advanced wipe options and specifically tell it to wipe the internal storage.

So basically, if you were going to go through the rooting process, the partitioning would essentially be unnecessary as you'd already have accomplished your goal via a custom recovery.

Great thank you, my phone is rooted. I didnt know factory reset in custom recovery doesnt affect your personal files. Maybe thats why theres no tutorial on partition, haha. Thanks again.

What about when you use the backup/restore option? Will that affect personal files or does it only backup/restore system files?
Backup restore will backup everything! You can make a full image backup up your device. I always backup system, data, boot partitions before I mess with any system files on the device. If anything goes wrong, I can restore right back like nothing ever happened.

You can choose which partitions to backup. All or just one. But yes, you can use it to backup user files.

Back
Top Bottom