• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

past longing

jij

Jun 27, 2020
hi, hadron Bless him! resurrected my perfect size & function for me htc desire bravo - he is a memory il carry - there are kind & selfless people out there still!

in the pics of htc d b camera froyo 2.2, (upgraded from 2.1) you could type a note in 'title: img', which the camera in android 4.4.4 (my only gripe) u cant!!??

ANY APK ... that will allow this or way of getting the camera from the htc desire bravo???? into a4.4.4????????

will you be another soul il carry in mind for help given!?

ps and htc ringtone list pls

just an fyi if you put a "@" in front of a members name, that member will get a notification that that person was being mentioned.

so if you say @Hadron he will be notified.

anyways i do not think there is a mod or anything like that. you will have to have a developer mod the 4.4 camera to work on a 2.2 os. not even sure if that would work really. i think you should just look into getting an upgraded phone. IMO in todays world everything is updated and its to the point where older os will cease to function properly or will slow down to a crawl.

Upvote 0
thanks 4 reply...
im naff with anything tech, being a novice i feel the phone, except camera & deathly ringtone (thanks @Hadron) is awesome - its so fast, might fly android11-14?

its like i got a new phone after my vol button died & @Hadron REALLY savd me from the huge 1's i c today

camera is grand, just cant? add text in 'title: img' - ms affects my main hand & this beauty slips @ times, what with a 55" 1.

thanks again, jolly 2021 to u
everything is working i need, text phone...

Upvote 0
I don't recognise that feature, which makes me wonder whether it's a feature of the HTC camera app rather than related to the Android version (I only ran the HTC software on my Desire for a couple of months, after which I switch to custom ROMs, so don't remember the app very well).

If you are just trying to rename the images you can do that in pretty much any Gallery app. You just view the image, select the option (3 dot menu) and look for a rename option. It may not be as conveniently located, but it should be there. Apologies if you mean something else.

I'm afraid there's no way of getting the HTC 2.2 camera app to work on a different ROM: the app relies on HTC's "Sense" framework, and won't work in any ROM that isn't based on that (and the Desire won't run a more recent HTC ROM, which probably wouldn't support the old camera app anyway).

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
thanks hadron AGAIN - loving it! all the best 4 2021. u understood correctly, @ least i explaind well enough

when i go into gallery, select pic & hit 3 dot menu a list drops down of 1-9 delete, slideshow edit, ro left, ro rgt crop, s pic as, details & print - for the life of me no 'rename' nor? can i in edit or details.

iv so been trying to get a compatible camera app that might do this as htc camera did ie 'title: img' ie change to 'title: last saw them 20yrs? img'

only other bug the ringtone 'somber'

had @ocnbrze not mentioned '@Hadron', id b none the wiser!! the worlds in trouble! but there r kind heart around still!

Upvote 0
thanks! hadron SO GRATEFUL 2 u, 'simple gallery' is a GOOD last resort if no other way. if i can find a 5mp 4.4.4- camera app, similar to how the camera on the htc froyo 2.2 fuctioned ref renaming 'title: img' (though it must have had 1) - i cant remember having to go into a gallery after taking the pic, 2 + a note - currently iv 356 (dont know the reason for them) pics taken, it would be nice if from the camera feature, u could just type in 'john, junior school x yrs? flew by' there and then. true what u said of features... such a obvious point to me.

do 'simple gallery' have a camera app? just came to mind

im really enjoying the phone, possibly more than when 1st got!?

Upvote 0
hi hadron, thanks, the phone is doing well for my basic needs! yest, i accidentally tapped the reboot & its stuck in that way. i know u said u can get back in via power on & back button! please give the steps needed in admin control prompt - would be SOOO grateful!!!!

Upvote 0
What exactly is it stuck showing on the screen? If we know what state it's in it will be easier to work out how to get out of it.

Have you tried removing the battery, leaving it out for a couple of minutes, then putting it back together and seeing whether it will boot? The "leaving the battery out" bit is to make sure that the RAM has completely discharged and ensure a clean start (something I first encountered when power cycling data acquisition systems at CERN: if I turned them back on again too quickly there was a good chance I'd have to repeat the process before they would boot up properly).

Upvote 0
bless you! yest i touched ie ms main hand reboot(not intended) & since then its gone round & r. today i did fastboot devices... fb b c:\... which got me into 4Ext, screen which is fine & i can navigate well. i shall try ur idea hope it works - hope i was not too keen, i reload beanstalk & gapps, not having a clue & being in a panic, the phone is good for my bad main hand & im enjoying it! thanks to you!!!!

Upvote 0
hi hadron, im looking around and wonder if 'flashboot devices enter then fastboot flash boot C:\...recovery.img enter' - would get it back - though i dont know if id lose txt's etc?

there's talk about repairing & manufacturers must make it easier for customer to do so - i dont want a HUGE screen, if this can be used im in!

Upvote 0
I'm not even sure what "hotboot" is. There's a "fastboot reboot", but that's all. TBH if a full shutdown with battery removed doesn't fix it I don't think any form of restart will.

"fastboot flash boot C:\..recovery.img" sounds wrong to me. "fastboot flash xxxx yyy.img" means "reflash the xxxx partition with the yyy.img image file. "recovery.img" would imply a recovery image (like your 4Ext), but "boot" is the system boot partition, not the recovery partition. Flashing a recovery image to the boot partition would guarantee that the phone couldn't boot - whether it did other damage would depend on the size of the recovery image and the boot partition (if the recovery was bigger than the kernel - the thing that actually lives in the boot partition - then it would overwrite whichever partition came next in the storage. Nothing good would come of that).

The trouble is that I think you've tried most of the things I'd suggest: wipe cache and dalvik is the first thing, and if that doesn't work try using 4Ext to reflash the ROM. If it still doesn't work after that then I'm afraid that what's left is a factory reset (in which case texts etc are gone) or reflashing the phone with an RUU (which will return it to stock, remove root, remove 4Ext, remove your custom ROM). For that last option make sure it's the same software you had before rooting in the first place, since as I think I've discussed before some RUUs close off some options for re-rooting.

I'm not completely sure what is wrong here. Clearly your bootloader and recovery are still working. If the ROM had been damaged I'd have thought that reloading it would fix that. So unless we're looking at a hardware problem (in which case no software solution will help) that really seems to suggest some data corruption that is preventing it from booting, and with cache and dalvik wiped that only leaves a factory reset (unless this ROM is one that requires the kernel, i.e. boot.img, to be flashed separately, or you have already tried fastboot flash boot? I don't recall Desire ROMs needing a separate kernel flash, that was a feature of the 2012 phones, but just trying to make sure here). And if none of that works, then you appear to have done everything which only leaves reflashing the whole device as a last shot. I know that I'm basically repeating myself in this paragraph, but what I'm doing is showing you the thought process behind what I've written previously.

Perhaps now would be a good time to consider using 4Ext to make a backup of the phone - you won't be able to simply restore it, but it might be possible to recover information from the backup if you have one. Or boot into 4Ext, start the adb_daemon (USB debugging) and use ADB to copy data to a computer (even try adb backup, see whether that works). I don't guarantee that any of that stuff will allow you to rescue your data, but it may be worth a go to give yourself a chance of doing so.

Upvote 0
thank you t y t y, you are a beautiful human being in my humble view. im sure im sharpening ur mind, but at least u have the mind in the 1st place - i hav thought of things only because uv taken me, as it were, the scenic route & im SSSSOOOO grateful. im sure u hav other things u could be doing!

anyway, i had done several backups in 4ext, the last 311220 - i thought backup as is ie 'everything seems fine but cant get to use phone' as of when i contacted u tue, then try to reload the last backup - voila it loaded & as far as i can see alls well!!!!

is there any way to retrieve the txts from the problem backup? id nvr be able to work out why, when i brush recovery it got stuck - im thinking to remove them from the screen, so no future mishaps

hadron i bless you, my main hand is affected with the ms diagnosis & i dont want to use a 55" one on street, as long as i can keep this 1 & it does what i need, i intend to use it - if iv dropd it, cant be more than 10 times since 2010, when got

once again THANKS!!!! if i could do it myself i would, but if u dont ask, you could be there 4evr getting NOWHERE

bless

Upvote 0
Glad it's working - yes, taking a system backup when the phone is working is not a bad idea ;).

Retrieving texts from a later backup, I can think of 2 things to try:

1) You can selectively restore a recovery backup (e.g. 4Ext). However you can't selectively restore individual apps, just entire partitions. So you could try restoring the Data partition from a more recent backup, and if it worked you'd have your texts back up to the point where that backup was made. The catch is that if the problem that was stopping the phone booting is in the Data partition then you'll restore the problem as well, and have to go back to your earlier backup as well to get it going again.

2) I've not used it for a few years (because my current phone isn't rooted), but the paid version of Titanium Backup (Titanium Backup Pro) can restore individual apps and their data from a recovery backup. So assuming that it works on this ROM (which is still fairly old) then if you could restore the "message storage" app's data from the most recent recovery backup that should get your texts back without crashing the phone again.

Those are the things I can think of anyway.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones