• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

People complaining

For those who think video encoding is too difficult, it's easily solved by one of two methods:

* Use iTunes to do it automagically. It even works with Android devices.
* Use Windows Media Player to do it automagically.
* Buy a device with a ton of codecs preloaded (Like the Archos units).

Me? I don't do synced video often enough to worry about it. And, when (In the extremely rare occasions I do), I just use WinFF. It even has an Android profile there.

To assume all users are ignorant, or incapable of being able to do something on their own ignores the fact that most kids know how to do this (My son who is 10 knows how) since they've grown up with computers; ignores the fact that streaming media is what most people use now (Hello? Netflix?); and ignores that most people actually do know a little bit about how to use a computer.

Upvote 0
Video Encoding != Video Editing.
They are not the same thing.

Video Encoding = brain dead easy. There are tons of apps that do this for you.
Video Editing = requires a bit more artistic skill.

Exactly. Video 'transcoding' is a two-click procedure, and a near zero skill level is required.

Video editing? I've been working with computers for about 15 years now, and I still ain't got the knack for it.

Upvote 0
I think a lot of people can do most of this stuff with a little encouragement from the tech community. Telling people their stupid and can't do any of this stuff may make people money but really does not advance the ability for people to do things on their own (a generation of iDevice users).

Read a lot of these forums objectively and will will run across many threads like:

"Well I finally rooted my Droid"

"I took the plunge not that hard"

"Wow. that was easy!"

Upvote 0
Video editing is largely a product of what software you choose to use. If you want power and options, Premiere is your cup of tea. If, like me, you simply want to cut commercials and transcode at the same time, Video ReDo makes it PAINFULLY simple...including finding the commercials for you. So, as always, it's a matter of "right tool for the job".

Upvote 0
Regarding video encoding, no matter how simple it is, it's never as easy and effortless as opening up a "GoogleTunes" app, dragging a video on to my device icons, and having that one video work on every android device I own.

If at least one android user would find such an app valuable, he shouldn't be told that his complaint about android lacking this app is invalid. It's totally valid.

doubleTwist

Yup, just CAN'T be done. :rolleyes:

Reactions: 3devious
Upvote 0
doubleTwist

Yup, just CAN'T be done. :rolleyes:

It's a user experience hit (Purportedly, according to some) that it doesn't come with the PHONE.

God knows why a PHONE OS wouldn't come with a MEDIA transcoding software. EVERYONE knows a PHONE should handle MEDIA perfectly, with zero effort ;)

Since ONE user needs it, Google should make it a CORE component...

Upvote 0
It's a user experience hit (Purportedly, according to some) that it doesn't come with the PHONE.

God knows why a PHONE OS wouldn't come with a MEDIA transcoding software. EVERYONE knows a PHONE should handle MEDIA perfectly, with zero effort ;)

Since ONE user needs it, Google should make it a CORE component...

Wait, I'm confused. When I hook up my iDevice to my machine, it goes and downloads and installs iTunes for me? Hmm, never noticed that. ;) I understand the complaint that it doesn't come with the phone, but, seriously, what's the point of an *OPEN* OS if you *NEED* to have everything handed to you on a platter? I personally like the minimalist approach in that I can then go get what *I* need, not what some arbitrary corporation tells me I must have. Personal preference. If you wanna be spoon fed, iDevices are what you should be using. If you want choice and aren't afraid to get your hands even a little dirty, then Android is where it's happening. It really comes down to being that simple.

Reactions: 3devious
Upvote 0
Wait, I'm confused. When I hook up my iDevice to my machine, it goes and downloads and installs iTunes for me? Hmm, never noticed that. ;) I understand the complaint that it doesn't come with the phone, but, seriously, what's the point of an *OPEN* OS if you *NEED* to have everything handed to you on a platter? I personally like the minimalist approach in that I can then go get what *I* need, not what some arbitrary corporation tells me I must have. Personal preference. If you wanna be spoon fed, iDevices are what you should be using. If you want choice and aren't afraid to get your hands even a little dirty, then Android is where it's happening. It really comes down to being that simple.

You jsut won +1000 internets :)

Upvote 0
WOO HOO! More internets for me!! :D But yea, I think it really does boil down to choice. Either you want it so oversimplified that a 2 year old can use it (2-Year-Old Finds iPad Easy to Use [VIDEO]) or you want choice. If you want choice, then you take responsibility for the experience. That's the point! The ENTIRE point!! Android doesn't PRESUME to know what ANYONE wants. VERY basic things like email, web browsing, etc, yes, but, it assumes you will then customize the device for the rest. The iDevices take the opposite approach. They define your user experience and VERY tightly control it for you. Which do you prefer? That is how you choose what device to get.

Upvote 0
Rooting a nook is a 15 second affair. All it requires is getting the image written to a sdcard and boot with it.

Once you download the image file, you run

dd if=image of=/dev/sdXX in Linux

In windows, they have apps that do it for you w/ point in click.

No ADB involved. Pop in the sdcard and boot. Thats it.

None of the rooting I've have to done requires any work. Revoke for the HTC phones are incredibly easy. Galaxy S phones only require a file on sdcard at boot.

Installing Ubuntu and setting up an X-server on an ARM device requires much more work.

Editing video is much more complicated and actually requires skill. Rooting is code-monkey stuff. Google this and google that.

IF you desire to have Marketplace and Google Apps on your Honeycomb'd Nook Color, you more than likely need ADB to push Vending.apk and GoogleServicesFramework.apk to your Nook Color while it's connected to your PC (that's after you make sure ADB recognizes your NC). Putting Honeycomb on a SDCard is easy, it's getting those other 2 options to work that needs ADB. Maybe you did not know this before you replied to my comment, just FYI. What's the point of having Honeycomb on a Nook Color IF you can't access the Marketplace or use Google Apps.

Upvote 0
IF you desire to have Marketplace and Google Apps on your Honeycomb'd Nook Color, you more than likely need ADB to push Vending.apk and GoogleServicesFramework.apk to your Nook Color while it's connected to your PC (that's after you make sure ADB recognizes your NC). Putting Honeycomb on a SDCard is easy, it's getting those other 2 options to work that needs ADB. Maybe you did not know this before you replied to my comment, just FYI. What's the point of having Honeycomb on a Nook Color IF you can't access the Marketplace or use Google Apps.

Google Apps and marketplace are generally, already with the ROM ;)

Upvote 0
Google Apps and marketplace are generally, already with the ROM ;)

No they are not;) There's no legal way to distribute Google Apps & Marketplace with a ROM and as such XDA does not allow it (this is why deeper-blue does not include these two with his Honeycomb V4). You have to find the .apk's and install yourself (this involves using ADB to Push the .apk's).

This is where the majority of people get stuck. You first have to make sure that ADB recognizes your Nook Color via USB (which means that your PC HAS to have the correct drivers). Then you have to know how to use a Command Prompt and change the Dir to where the ADB.exe is located (this should also be the folder where the .apk's are located as well). According to some here this is all common knowledge and the majority of 5th graders know how to do this:)

Upvote 0
Dude, are you serious. Of COURSE video editing is easy for you, for the average person, iTunes is great for adding movies to their tablet. Xoom nor Android has such an easy way to add movies. That's like me saying "it's easy to root the Nook Color just because I can do it".

I AM quite serious.
Video editing takes skill as well as learning and training with software such as Final Cut Studio or Vegas Pro....

But far as video encoding goes, its been made very easy to the average Joe to encode your videos w/ apps like Handbrake.

A quick Google search, some reading, and a quick download of handbrake is all one really needs to pull off a quick encode.
Handbrake also supports Batch encoding...
You can add several different videos to the job queue, hit start, and Handbrake will encode them all at once.

Upvote 0
Besides, we've had terrible luck getting Handbrake to work at 720p (ish) resolution for the Xoom. I'm all for easy when it works. There are programs out there that will make high res files for the Xoom that work fine. In any case, the video editing thing is a moot point for Xoom. That's content creation which is a separate issue. Video transcoding is still technically in the realm of content creation but more closely related to the Xoom video experience because the Xoom appears to be finicky about what video types it supports. The Xoom and most tablets are about content consumption.

Upvote 0
This is yet another example of why wanting a "spoon fed" solution can be a legitimate complaint.

Why? Cause an unrelated program spits out incompatible video? I'm sure a Xoom profile could be made. I just haven't figured out the right settings yet. People much better at it than me are working on it. They have profiles built for iDevices already. Xoom is new. Such is life.

Upvote 0
We saw a number of posts saying how easy it is to encode video, including a couple smug posts, high fives, 5th grader comments, etc. Now we have evidence that encoding video isn't always as easy as dragging a video to a device icon.

All I'm saying is, why not demand google to give us an easy, reliable way to get video on to our devices instead of leaving us to fend for ourselves. It would be nice to be able to say that without the troll and "spoon fed" comments from the same forum members.

Demand? Ugh. I don't even know how to respond to that. You can REQUEST that from them, sure. And how do you know that they aren't working on a video solution? Their own store. A partnership with Amazon. We aren't privy to all their plans. The functionality exists, but, not to your liking, apparently. I'm not sure what else to say. You get offended when someone says you need to be spoon fed, but, then turn around and get really upset that it's not completely automated for you. That's kind of a contradiction. Fact: iDevices DO spoon feed their users and control the user experience at the corporate level. That is undisputed. To me that's the definition of being spoon fed. Google allows the user as much rope to hang themself as they want. Should they provide basic "video" functionality? Perhaps. And again, maybe they will. That infrastructure doesn't exist at the moment. However, Google gives you the freedom to pursue any solution that works for you rather than tying you to one program that does it all for you. If that openness doesn't work for you, then the Xoom and other honeycomb devices probably aren't for you. There's nothing wrong with that. But trying to force the iDevices model onto the Google devices....I'm not sure that's really the right approach. That's not a bad thing. The devices aren't necessarily targeted at the exact same user base.

But, step back for a moment. This same "debate" has been going on for decades. Mac vs PC. Linux vs the world. These discussions rarely have any resolution. Nor are the devices necessarily targeted at the same users. And in the tablet world, so far, it's shaping up to be a similar differentiation of user base. The iDevices are for the "cool, hip crowd" just as the Mac is. I see the Xoom and other android based tablets as the "work horse, general function" devices targeted at the general user crowd, just as PC's are. We'll see how WebOS does. Again, though, this debate has been going on for years and has never had any kind of resolution. All you get is entrenched people on both sides and people getting all shocked and surprised when the other side doesn't completely agree with their stated position.

Me? I couldn't care less what device anyone else buys. At the end of the day, YOU have to use what you buy, not me. I bought the device that fits my user profile. Surprise, I'm here on an Android forum supporting that decision. Crazy, right? To each their own.

Upvote 0
S
Besides, we've had terrible luck getting Handbrake to work at 720p (ish) resolution for the Xoom. I'm all for easy when it works. There are programs out there that will make high res files for the Xoom that work fine. In any case, the video editing thing is a moot point for Xoom. That's content creation which is a separate issue. Video transcoding is still technically in the realm of content creation but more closely related to the Xoom video experience because the Xoom appears to be finicky about what video types it supports. The Xoom and most tablets are about content consumption.

For those having trouble encoding with Handbrake,
VisualHub works just fine :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones