• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root permissions denied

Lars

Android Expert
This is a great app from the creator of busybox. Cm7 has this built in and I miss it so finding the app is great.

Basically it allows you to install apps that snoop permissions they really don't need. Then you can take those permissions away from it with this app. Very cool.

Permissions Denied - Market Link

Permissions Denied Pro ($2.99) - Market Link

Links for those not sure of what he meant.

How is this different from Privacy Blocker?
1) Permissions is free.
2) Permissions is open source.
3) Permissions does not break market updates for apps that you deny permissions to.
4) Permissions has no reported FC yet?
5)Did I mention Permissions is free?

So, basically, Permissions allows you to effectively control the permissions that apps which are installed onto your phone, via the market or some other source.

This is fully open sourced at

http://code.google.com/p/android-permissions/

You must reboot before these changes take place and be aware that denying an app a permission that it is requesting may result in the app Force Closing.

Please use the backup feature with care. Always make backups of your device!

does this app actually work on a bionic? i tried an earlier build (free version), but it did not "remember" the permissions i denied after the requisite reboot...

EDIT: my test was either on 5.5.886 or 5.7.893, don't remember which, and the version i tried is the current market version

Works for me. I think I also moved the app from /data/app to /system/app and fixed the permissions to 644.

Works for me. I think I also moved the app from /data/app to /system/app and fixed the permissions to 644.

so i just checked my phone and the app is in /data/app and the permissions are set to 644. decided to give it another try before moving it per your instructions. the only thing i did differently this time after changing a permission is reboot by selecting "reboot" from the menu in the app (as opposed to backing out of the app and manually powering down / powering up like i did last time). after the reboot, the disabled permissions are retained.

now, if i could just get a data connection too...

Back
Top Bottom