• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help phone acting strange

Porshiana

Lurker
Stock with latest updates. To begin with it would randomly reboot. Several times a day for no apparent reason. Factory reset only helped for a bit. I have excessive free space so memory is not a problem. I thought perhaps it was ram. I got advanced task manager and that stopped the rebooting. I was shocked because I've heard task managers normally just add to the problem. But it still lags sometimes. Always lags when making a call. I chose the call icon and it will start dialing sometimes as much as 3 full minutes later. Then the proximity sensor acts funny. Sometimes it's backwards. It will be on while my face is touching causing hit buttons mutes speaker phone and hang ups. Then when I pull it away to look at it it goes black. Then I have to turn the screen on then off to get it to stay off when I put it back to my ear. Now the power button is acting funny. When I try to light the black screen I generally have to press it several times. It will kind of flicker on some presses. I've tried longer presses. Sometime's it works, sometimes it simply gives me the power off options, and sometimes it doesn't work at all. Now recently the black screen powers on when I simply graze the phone when reaching for it. I'm very frustrated. I can't afford to replace the phone right now. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Those sound like common symptoms of a bad app installed causing your issues. If you have any apps you installed from somewhere other than the play store, I would start there and remove them. Yes task killers/managers can add to the problem, but in your case it sounds like it is killing that bad app making things a little better for a while. This may not be your case, but I've seen this happen many times and usually removing the app/s in question will fix the problem. As a last resort, a factory reset from within the phone's settings can also help.

Good luck. ;)

Wow thanks for the quick reply. I only download from play store. So... I've got a gazillion apps. Some are so crucial. Do u have a strategy for figuring it out? Could it be a pre installed app? Is it possible it could be a playstore app?

Well it must be an app that 1. Task manager is regularly stopping and 2. I downloaded again right after the factory reset.. I'll start there. Thanks for your help

I deleted programs and that seemed to fix most lag problems. I was able to delete the task manager too. Phone was still slow to dial. I had hundreds and hundreds of message logs saved. Deleted most of them. This fixed the phone issue immediately.
Now I'm still dealing with the power issue. Not so much when I'm on my phone, but when I'm pressing the button. I think perhaps my power button itself is going bad. It works every time if I push the top edge instead of the middle. I t is already a year old so wear is expected.
Anyway I fixed most of the issues. Thank u so much.

Back
Top Bottom