• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Phone not recognizing SD card

Awesoman

Lurker
I know this issue has come up before, but I've yet to really find any true solution to resolve it. Ever since I upgraded my RAZR to 4.1.2, I have had some compatibility issues with the SD card. The phone will be reading the card without issue for a period of time, then all of a sudden the phone will stop recognizing the card at all. I will occasionally get a notification stating "sd card is blank or has unsupported filesystem". Rebooting the phone does not resolve the problem, nor does simply removing then immediately reinserting the card. If I remove the SD card from the phone and plug it into the PC, all my content will appear safe and sound. Usually after my PC recognizes the SD card, I can plug it back into my phone and it will start to function again for a period of time. However it will eventually stop working again, and I will have to repeat this process by plugging it into my PC.

I believe the problem originates not with the SD card, but with the firmware update itself. I do not recall having this problem prior to the update. I've learned one quick way to produce this problem on the phone is by plugging the phone (with SD card intact) into a PC via a USB cable. If the phone transitions to "USB mode", it will usually have a hard time recognizing the card after I have disconnected the phone from the PC.

Upon researching this problem on the web, the most common suggestion in correcting this problem is simply offloading all the content off the card to the PC and then reformatting it (either via the PC or the phone itself). I have not yet tried this method as results that I have read for it have been mixed.

I was wondering if anyone has yet to successfully pinpoint the cause of this problem, and have found a suitable solution for it.

It is a very BIG deal. It will delete all apps that you added and the customizing information that you provided.

You need to backup what is important to you before you do the Factory Data Reset.

A Factory Data Reset is highly recommended as the first step after any major system upgrade (like ICS to JB). If you don't, sometime town the line odd problems start happening and you are backed into doing it.

... Thom

That varies from user to user. The general answer is no.

If you have a root-ed device you cold use Titanium Backup Pro or My Backup Pro. If you are not root-ed your backed up data will be partial.

As I said this is a BIG deal and should be thought through before you start.

... Thom

That varies from user to user. The general answer is no.

If you have a root-ed device you cold use Titanium Backup Pro or My Backup Pro. If you are not root-ed your backed up data will be partial.

As I said this is a BIG deal and should be thought through before you start.

... Thom

Thanks for the info. My phone is not rooted. It's a bit frustrating that I'd have to basically format my whole *phone* just to get the SD card to work properly. Factor in that this was never a problem before the firmware update and you've got many layers of "suck" already in your lap.

Here's the deal. The updates to the system happen. When you accepted it you accepted it. You need to do a Factory Data Reset right after the update. If you don't you end up in situations like the one you have. There is no guarantee that a Factory Data Reset will fix your problem. It might.

No one likes doing the Factory Data Resets. They get easier as you do them. I have done four so far for updates and testing. The fourth was a lot easier than the first.

What it does is to establish a starting point that you know is not muddied up by this or that.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

... Thom

If you plug into a computer you can copy your internal storage over so you don't lose anything.

If you back up your contacts with google, they will automatically download when you sign into your google account.

If you go to play.google.com and log in, it will show all of your apps and allow you to manage what you want to download on your phone without the need to search for them all again.

That should be most of what you will need to reload on your phone.

Back
Top Bottom