• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help phone soft bricked but stuck

phillyundead

So i tried to boot into recovery to make a backup of my rom before i triwed to revert back to 4.3 as i didn't like the kitkat update. so it's stuck on a bootloop trying to get in to recovery. when i put it into download mode and try to flash any rom (i've tried 4 different firmwars now including stock) and tells me

<ID:0/004> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> Root_de_la_Vega.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/004> Odin v.3 engine (ID:4)..
<ID:0/004> File analysis..
<ID:0/004> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/004> Initialzation..
<ID:0/004> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/004> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/004> SingleDownload.
<ID:0/004> cache.img.ext4
<ID:0/004> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/004> FAIL! (Auth)
<ID:0/004>
<ID:0/004> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

exept the part where the rooting md5 is. i can't connect to the device at the moment so i googled the error and found it. where the rooting md5 is it would say the file name of the firmware i was trying to flash. i've tried about 20 different recovery methods and nothing will work. odin recognizes the phone but nothing else will.

please helpppp

Root de la Vega worked until MJ5. If you're running that or anything later (NB4, Kit Kat), it won't work.

Root de la Vega worked until MJ5. If you're running that or anything later (NB4, Kit Kat), it won't work.

i'm trying to flash the stock firmware on, not root it. i'm using the official firmwares from samsung even and they're failing every time.

So i basically just kept trying different combonations of firmware and Odin version. after many attempts flashing kitkat with the newest odin finally worked. it's weird cause i tried that more than once and it failed. Ironically this all started because i was trying to flash back to 4.3 and now i'm stuck back with 4.4.2. they really dont want you to use jellybean i guess.

So i basically just kept trying different combonations of firmware and Odin version. after many attempts flashing kitkat with the newest odin finally worked. it's weird cause i tried that more than once and it failed. Ironically this all started because i was trying to flash back to 4.3 and now i'm stuck back with 4.4.2. they really dont want you to use jellybean i guess.

I'm not sure what version of Android it started with, but with or some time after ICS, Google made it so that newer versions would refuse to install older versions over themselves. If you're careful and know what to look for, there are ways around this, but one misstep can have catastrophic (and sometimes irreversible) results, so it's not recommended if you are even the least bit worried about damaging your phone.

I was able to flash anything I wanted when I had jellybean. Now I cannot flash anything at all or root.

Yeah, I'm starting to regret the update, too, and my device is and always has been stock (and will be until the manufacturer's warranty expires ;)).

I'm pretty sure that flashing a stock kitkat rom modifies the bootloader which is what prevents the downgrade.
If, for example, you went from stock 4.3 to custom 4.4 you'd be able to downgrade again.
I'm not 100% about that as I'm not sure if it's a Samsung thing or if it's universal

I'm pretty sure that flashing a stock kitkat rom modifies the bootloader which is what prevents the downgrade.
If, for example, you went from stock 4.3 to custom 4.4 you'd be able to downgrade again.
I'm not 100% about that as I'm not sure if it's a Samsung thing or if it's universal

You are quite correct. You cannot downgrade from 4.4.2. Only flash 4.4.2 ROMs. It is the new bootloader that will not allow it. Trying in Odin will usually result in a failure or boot loop.

When updating it always recommended to take a deep breath. Uninstall Super User (if rooted) from it's options (permanent clean up for uninstall), enter recovery clean cache and dalvik cache and only then flash a stock ROM and only then any 4.4.2 ROM you want. This way you will avoid any clashes of settings/data between 4.3 and 4.4.2.

Well, T-Mobile sent me a replacement because of the battery drain issue. I'm not upgrading to kitkat ever again. So much for the freedoms that made me choose Android.

Well, T-Mobile sent me a replacement because of the battery drain issue. I'm not upgrading to kitkat ever again. So much for the freedoms that made me choose Android.

Blame Samsung (and some carriers who alter the firmware further) for locked bootloaders, not Android.

Incidentally looking at your Odin report it appears you are using the Root-de-la-Vega method to root. We're you using a 4.4.2 file or a 4.3 one? Or perhaps one generated by yourself using details of your 4.3 firmware. I ask because this is probably the source of your problems. Basically anything that worked on 4.3 won't work on 4.4.2 when it comes to rooting, and as pointed out once 4.4.2 is flashed you cannot go back and downgrade.

I wasn't using the root method. I didn't have that report handy so I copied the same thing from forums. The only thing different was instead of the rootmd5 it was the 4.3 md5

I see. Your only option is to install the stock KitKat firmware for your particular model from scratch using Odin. You cannot flash any 4.3 ROM after trying a 4.4.2 KitKat ROM that has the KitKat bootloader, which looks like you have. There is no going back, and any Nandroid back up (if you get to your recovery) of a 4.3 set up will also fail.

Your on locked bootloader 4.4.2 as well. Be patient the devs will find a way to allow you to root and do fun stuff soon enough. It is always the way. What is your exact model and firmware now, I'll keep my eyes (and lists I watch updated) to see what comes up.

I already ordered a replacement for it. It randomly goes into a boot loop for 20 minutes then works fine again for a bit. According to T-Mobile customer care there are a good amount of people complaining about the same things. My phone is almost unusable. I get the replacement on Tuesday thank god.

I already ordered a replacement for it. It randomly goes into a boot loop for 20 minutes then works fine again for a bit. According to T-Mobile customer care there are a good amount of people complaining about the same things. My phone is almost unusable. I get the replacement on Tuesday thank god.

Good news indeed. It appears, as I have said in another post kitkat has caused many problems for the Exynos versions of the Note 3. Any problems with it on the Qualcomm International variants appear to be user related rather than firmware or phone related, and are usually solvable. I can't help thinking the amount of "tinkering" done by some of your carriers in the States is to blame. Your comment about T-Mobile saying there are a number of people complaining about similar things, and their willingness to give you a new device only serve to conclude I could be right.

After updating my battery was draining faster than the time it took to recharge it. I'm on Sprint so I know it wasn't carrier specific. I believe my issue was related to "mobile data".........after I turned that off my battery stopped draining at the speed of light. I left it MD off for a few hrs & when I turned it back on everything was fine.

I think it's a Samsung issue and the CPU is weird. Just looking at it without root on Android tuner it seems to be on maximum a lot. Like 80 percent of the time. Even just sitting doing nothing else. Maybe that could be the battery and charging trouble.

I think it's a Samsung issue and the CPU is weird. Just looking at it without root on Android tuner it seems to be on maximum a lot. Like 80 percent of the time. Even just sitting doing nothing else. Maybe that could be the battery and charging trouble.
That's very possible you have apps unnecessarily using resources in the background that are draining your battery- especially apps that need to sync. If it's not life or death I don't need to sync every 5 min. :)

In trying to figure out my drain it also allowed me time to get rid of the apps I haven't used in forever.

I almost always have sync off and have almost no third party apps right now because so many of them are force closing so much. I usually only turn sync on for a few minutes at night then back off before I go to bed.

I almost always have sync off and have almost no third party apps right now because so many of them are force closing so much. I usually only turn sync on for a few minutes at night then back off before I go to bed.
Well, you at least have a replacement on the way. I meant to say before- don't be surprised if the new phone comes with the update already done. Carriers have been known to update stock as they see fit.

If it does comes with the update do some more research (downgrading) so you don't find yourself in the same position as you did with the messed up phone.

Well, you at least have a replacement on the way. I meant to say before- don't be surprised if the new phone comes with the update already done. Carriers have been known to update stock as they see fit.

If it does comes with the update do some more research (downgrading) so you don't find yourself in the same position as you did with the messed up phone.

If in that case I'm gonna wait for a root and salvage what I can lol. But according to the rep I talked to it will come with jellybean. I have my fingers crossed.

If in that case I'm gonna wait for a root and salvage what I can lol. But according to the rep I talked to it will come with jellybean. I have my fingers crossed.
I've learned to take what the reps say with a grain of salt. :D
Im'ma keep my fingers crossed for you too.

Good to hear! I thought sure you were switching to one of those fruit phones from your reaction in the thread where you first reported the kitkat update messed up your phone.

Back
Top Bottom