• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Phone speaker 'on' icon

TA40B

Lurker
Phone handset on angle with curved waves to the right icon - Call is on speakerphone.
Does this mean my phone speaker is listening even if I'm not making a call?
How can I turn it off (except selecting flight mode)?
Thanks.

If you aren't making a call then the speakerphone isn't listening. But if you aren't making a call there should not be an in-call icon visible. So are you certain you actually ended your last call?

What happens if you reboot the phone?

Your phone's speaker doesn't listen for nor record sound. A speaker emits sounds. You need to instead focus on your phone's microphone. It's the Permissions for various apps that you need to look into, and allow or disallow permissions to use the Microphone.

If you aren't making a call then the speakerphone isn't listening. But if you aren't making a call there should not be an in-call icon visible. So are you certain you actually ended your last call?

What happens if you reboot the phone?
The icon reappears.

Do you have a screen shot of the icon you speak of?
Screenshot_2023-01-22-17-02-50-73.jpg

Ok. When I turn wifi off, the icon disappears. Did you know SMS and camera refuse to work without microphone access? Why would SMS need microphone?

Ok. When I turn wifi off, the icon disappears. Did you know SMS and camera refuse to work without microphone access? Why would SMS need microphone?
sms needs microphone due to speech to text. so if you are driving and and want to text somebody, you can have google assistant type a text by speaking to the phone.

Back
Top Bottom