• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Phone unlock question

S Chonson

I'm currently on AT&T, and I have the chance to purchase a T-Mobile Micro Sim Card.

Does unlocking the phone mean I'll be able to get 4.1.2. since I'll be on T-Mobile's network?

I dont fully understand how the US carriers work tbh but id guess youd have to flash the t-mo firmware onto it to get t-mo updates(?) Hopefuly someone who understands this crazy carrier stuff will confirm that lol :beer:

Updates are phone specific. Changing carriers doesn't change the hardware in the device, so you'll still be dependent on when AT&T updates.

I got the phone unlocked today with a brand new T Mobile SIM card but it's not recognizing my number.

Example: I can't make any calls without a voicemail prompting me to type in my number or say "I don't have a number". I can't even get a data signal.

The Phone number will be that of the new Sim, not the old. You will need to contact Tmobile to activate the sim, and get the phone number assinged to it.

Ya............just putting a TM sim in the phone does not allow you to use their network. You have to be a TM customer.
If you do not want to loose your number I would give them a call.
They may be able to port the number to the sim or send you a new ported number sim in the mail. Have no idea what if anything they will charge you though.

In the UK, you ring your old carrier and they have to give you a code (for free) that you give to your new carrier and that transfers your old number to the new carrier, usually takes a few days. I think by law they have to give you the code (here anyway) they dont "own" the number :thumbup:

Its a "pak" or "puk" code or something

Back