• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Phone won't charge via computer

xguy

Android Enthusiast
Since my ICS update, I noticed that my phone is not charging using a usb cable while tethering. The battery indicator on the phone shows it's charging but it is not. I had 60% charge a couple of hours ago and it is at 25% now. Normally it would be fully charged. Anyone know what could cause this?

Thanks

When you say tethering, do you mean providing internet service to the computer using the phone? I think it's that the power used by the phone is greater than the power provided by the USB port. In other words, your phone's battery is draining faster than the USB port can provide power.

You could try plugging in to a powered USB hub to see if that provides more power. Or plug into a wall charger and use a different way to tether the phone - AirDroid or Dropbox for transferring files, WiFi tether for internet tethering.

For the mobile hotspot provided by Verizon I have found it necessary to always have the Bionic plugged into the OEM wall charger.

... Thom

I have also found that when traveling using the car dock, if I keep GPS active with turn by turn directions and the screen on, the phone will discharge faster than the vehicle charger can charge the battery. It's not an uncommon thing...

For the mobile hotspot provided by Verizon I have found it necessary to always have the Bionic plugged into the OEM wall charger.

... Thom

This is all so strange since it would recharge the phone while tethering using a usb cable. I have been doing this for sometime and as well as my old Dinc. I never experienced it until I got the ICS. :confused:

It probably depends on what you are doing. 4G downloads of large files perhaps?

... Thom

No downloads, just surfing the net. Before the ICS for example, I had 40% and a couple hours later it was up to 100% As I'm looking at the battery icon on the phone, it's charging so I'll see.

Stuff you probably already know ...

- It charges much faster on the wall charger then a USB port.
- Some USB ports are better than others. General wisdom is to use a USB port on the back of the PC instead of the front.

... Thom

Stuff you probably already know ...

- It charges much faster on the wall charger then a USB port.
- Some USB ports are better than others. General wisdom is to use a USB port on the back of the PC instead of the front.

... Thom

Thanks Thom, yes I understand all the above. It's just strange that since the update it's not charging like it has been after over a year and different phones!:)

I have also found that when traveling using the car dock, if I keep GPS active with turn by turn directions and the screen on, the phone will discharge faster than the vehicle charger can charge the battery. It's not an uncommon thing...

Yep, I usually have my Bionic plugged in the cigarette lighter with the GPS on, CarHome Ultra (Dock) and Trapster (Police Radar/Red Light Camera Tracker) running. I always loose power faster that it can charge :(

Thanks guys, Now see I'm not the only one. I guess it's time to buy a couple extended batteries!:D

Well now I have real problems....I can't answer the phone!! Until this new update when the phone rang I slid the bar to the right. Now it has 4 icons in which when it rings I touch ...hit the green circle on the right and nothing. I tried all of them and still missed my call. Isn't it the green circle??

Slide the center circle to the circle on the right.

I've noticed my battery level going down faster then it did under JB.

... Thom

I've been hitting the green phone!! Doh! Lol :o Btw, after several hours it went up 10%!

Back
Top Bottom