• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Photon WIFI issues???

floorguy

Had the Epic...and wifi was the bomb with it....I could go in the middle of my street and still have connect... 1st day with the photon, in my drive way was ehhhhh connected then disconnected..

so today sitting by my router, and tried to go to market, told me network issues try again....twice

then it finally grabbed

just seems the wifi on this is a bit weak....any others??

My wifi is weak as well although it performs well even on a weak signal. I am coming off a Nexus S 4G (ditched it because the radio was pathetically weak) and the wifi signal on the Photon is maybe a tiny bit weaker... but the Photon has much better cellular radio reception. I hate to say it but my Nexus S 4G also seemed to be smoother and faster overall with better battery life too. Photon is growing on me though.

I haven't noticed any issues but I haven't taken it far from the router yet. I have a very busy day here with some work and other stuff, but I will be sure to try it out later and let you know what I find.

Hmm mine seems OK. Did you do a factory reset when you first got the phone?

What is the logic behind a factory reset enhancing wifi reception? I have heard other suggestions about factory resets helping other issues as well but I don't see how it makes sense...

I would say my wifi is slightly better than the Evo 4G, but still I feel it's kinda weak. My apartment isn't that big and I only have 1 bar from one end to the other. I'm using a 3yr old N-router

What is the logic behind a factory reset enhancing wifi reception? I have heard other suggestions about factory resets helping other issues as well but I don't see how it makes sense...

I did a factory reset one day after getting the phone and setting it up. I have noticed that the phone is faster and a few issues I was seeing are now gone. So a factory reset is a good idea in general.

As for wifi this phone is on par with the Evo 4G, vibrant and Nexus One that I have has in the past.

I don't have an EVO with me to compare but we'll check it later. I went all over our house (2 story w/ basement) and got same amount of bars as my Transformer does. I took it outside to the edge of our property and the same. So I can't say it is bad, it's also the same as my old Samsung. We can compare to the EVO and iPhone later today :)

I have a Motorola Xoom and I get 72Mbps on Wireless N 2.4ghz, and while at the same time I am getting 6Mbps in the same location on the Moto Photon . I have a Netgear 4000 (N750) and I am about 7ft away with both devices. Is the WiFi Radio that Horrible in the Photon. Wireless SUCKS. I am on Channel 11 (the only person in the neighborhood, everyone else is still on default channel 6).

Anyone else having this issue. I just got this today and Love the phone, and but the Wireless is Terrible and may force me to take it back. I have Time Warner Cable (Roadrunner Plus 25Mbps Down & 2Mbps Up. I am baffled. Unless the Photon Wireless Radio SUCKS. I have updated the PRL & Profile.

I just bought the Motorola Photon on Saturday, September 3. like the phone alot coming from a Palm Pre that I loved. Curious. I'm sitting, and typing 20 feet from my wireless router and my laptop has "Excellent" signal strength. My Photon has "Poor". Again seems to work fine but is Turbo Droid, Juice defender or perhaps something else cutting off WIFI?

You know, at first I thought maybe I was just imagining things, but yesterday I noticed that my wifi signal was weaker than my 3G signal, which is usually the opposite for me at my house.

I had a wifi access point on order that just got delivered today, so I was planning on hooking that up, prior to judging if it was the phone's wifi antenna.

how old are the routers????

mine is pretty old.....5 yrs i think

in fact i think its a G only.....

ewww time for a new one maybe???

I've never had a problem with mine. I'm currently getting full bars through two walls at 72 Mb/s.

I get great coverage anywhere in my house. I haven't tried to see how far it goes outside, but I have my wifi placed intentionally to reduce any signal to the street.

The laptop sitting on my desk reports 130 Mb/s.

how old are the routers????

mine is pretty old.....5 yrs i think

in fact i think its a G only.....

ewww time for a new one maybe???

My router isn't that old. It's definitely a wireless N router. My IT guy at work was going to help me figure out a solution, based on my settings on the router, but I hadn't gotten a chance to check.

For you, I would definitely recommend a new router. And if, for whatever reason, you'll need to get an Airrave, I believe airraves are only compatible with Wireless N or newer.

I've noticed lately that my Photon takes an inordinate amount of time to connect to my router at home, and will sometimes disconnect/sleep even though I have that particular setting at "never." Once it connects it's fine, but it can be a little annoying to pick it up and see it on 3G for no good reason. Could just be my router, but nothing else in the house has that problem. My nook, laptops, and my old Evo (back when I had it) all connect(ed) faster than the Photon. But this is really a minor quibble, all things considered.

Okay, so I'm bumping this old thread because I noticed recently that my WiFi signal on the phone has gotten weaker in one area in my house, compared to all the other devices (e.g. tablet, laptop, and blu-ray player) in the same room. It used to be that my wifi antenna in the MoPho would stay at 2 bars (sometimes 1), but I never had issues of it connecting. As of recently, I've noticed it's not quite as strong.

Has anybody else noticed this or could it be that maybe my wifi antenna needs fixing internally (e.g. hardware issue, not software)?

http://www.speedtest.net/android/126353403.png

No problems here. Pay for 12mbps and getting close to 20. 3 bars on Wi-fi and my wife has the same. Upstairs it goes down to 2 bars but still comparable speed.

After Sprint CS re-provisioned my phone, it still seems to have an issue of finding signal in the one room of my house that has the weakest signal. My other devices are still fine picking up signal, but the MoPho is intermitent.

I know the wifi antenna in my phone works because it's fine when closer to the router or in other rooms, but just not this one room furthest from the router. I'm probably going to take this coming weekend to re-arrange where I have the router set up anyway, just to see if I can get an even better signal by re-locating it.

I had the same wifi problem with my Photon. Sprint tested the phone and said all was okay. They directed me to Motorola's tech support and that guy said it was a problem with my access point. I have a WAP54G with a 2005 firmware. There was no update available. Then a good friend of mine that is totally into RF told me about dd-wrt dot com. They write router firmware that unlocks many settings your OEM firmware does not show. I installed it and made a few setting changes and my wifi has been excellent.

I had the same wifi problem with my Photon. Sprint tested the phone and said all was okay. They directed me to Motorola's tech support and that guy said it was a problem with my access point. I have a WAP54G with a 2005 firmware. There was no update available. Then a good friend of mine that is totally into RF told me about dd-wrt dot com. They write router firmware that unlocks many settings your OEM firmware does not show. I installed it and made a few setting changes and my wifi has been excellent.

I think I saw someone else mention the same thing. Were you having the same problem with the Photon in comparison to other devices? I have a laptop, tablet, and TV all connected to my wi-fi at full signal strength and great browsing speed. The MoPho is the only device that bounces in and out of signal (if it even catches signal) in the same room.

Since the other devices in that room, especially the tablet, seem to have strong signal connection, that's where I believe my router and access point aren't the issue.

I checked out www.dd-wrt.com | Unleash Your Router. I'll see if there's something there that'll help me.

Not sure why my Photon was having issues with wifi and my laptop, PS3, Wii and iphone all seem to work without issue. All I can say is the dd-wrt firmware fixed the issue my Photon had with staying connected.

recently got a new router for the house...

and the signal is still ehhhhhhh

will that site have something for a quest router????

hey it was free and i was looking to change anyway:):):):)

Back