• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Pictures or music found on SD, but can browse it fine?!

j006

All of a sudden, my music and pictures aren't being found on the SD card. I also noticed that my custom ringer/notification sounds stopped working. When trying to re choose them in each app, the only choices now are 'silent' and 'default' for both. What's weird is, I have a bunch of apps installed on the SD card, and they launch fine. I can also browse the SD card and see the music/picture files/sound files via Root Explorer and Astro(which is installed on the SD card no less). The SD card reads fine on a PC. I moved some music files onto another card just to see if it was a problem with the card itself, but the results are the same.

I've obviously tried all combinations of rebooting, unmounting/mounting several times. I copied all the contents over to my PC, reformatted the SD card and reloaded the files, but still it's not reading the music/pictures. Those folders do not have the .nomedia folder inside of them, so it isn't that. I even booted into recovery, mounted/unmounted the card, and also tried mounting as a USB drive from recovery. Nothing has worked and I'm out of ideas. I literally just rebuilt the phone and I really, really don't want to have to do a hard reset and redo everything yet again.

I'm recently rooted running the stock 2.3.3 GB ROM so nothing funny there. Any ideas?

If you are running a rom that doesn't wipe when the zip installs, you can just flash the zip over your current setup and it shouldn't make you lose any settings or apps. You would have to reflash a kernel if running a custom one, but I use this trick relatively often.
Careful though. Some roms are put together with a forced wipe included, like ANDYBonestock.

So I did a factory reset, which fixed the gallery/music issue, but I was in this weird state where I had S-OFF, but I wasn't fully rooted. Some apps would get root access, but others such as Titanium would not. I ultimately got tired and restored back to the previous state, so my gallery and MP3s aren't reading.

Is there something that needs to be done after a factory reset to restore full root?

Back
Top Bottom