• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help PIN Lock Not Available

jmeyeribs

Lurker
I have a user with a Samsung Galaxy S Continuum. We are requiring PIN-type screen unlock codes. However, the option is not available on his phone - only the pattern-type.

It's from Verizon. And their own support page indicates that it should be able to be configured with a PIN code. The only options we see are to set or remove the pattern.

Copious Googling either returns the directions to set the PIN lock or directions to bypass the screen lock entirely. I haven't had much lucking finding any hits regarding the absence of the PIN option.

Are we missing something?

Kernel version 2.6.29
Firmware Version 2.1-update 1

I have a user with a Samsung Galaxy S Continuum. We are requiring PIN-type screen unlock codes. However, the option is not available on his phone - only the pattern-type.

It's from Verizon. And their own support page indicates that it should be able to be configured with a PIN code. The only options we see are to set or remove the pattern.

Copious Googling either returns the directions to set the PIN lock or directions to bypass the screen lock entirely. I haven't had much lucking finding any hits regarding the absence of the PIN option.

Are we missing something?

Kernel version 2.6.29
Firmware Version 2.1-update 1

Lets try the obvious, first. Have you gone to settings/location and security/ set screen lock, and selected "enter pin to unlock screen"? If so, what happens?

Lets try the obvious, first. Have you gone to settings/location and security/ set screen lock, and selected "enter pin to unlock screen"? If so, what happens?

Thank you for the reply.

That is the thing. The option to set a PIN is not available. The only screen lock options are none and pattern.

However, I just got notified by the end user that an update to 2.2 was available. He will be installing that and we'll see if that changes anything.

Thank you for the reply.

That is the thing. The option to set a PIN is not available. The only screen lock options are none and pattern.

However, I just got notified by the end user that an update to 2.2 was available. He will be installing that and we'll see if that changes anything.

It should. 2.1.1 had the option as well. I'm not sure why it wouldn't show up. I'm assuming your user isn't rooted, and didn't have means to hack the settings. Either way, the user should update to 2.2 anyway. For the performance of the phone, if nothing else. Keep me posted. If, for what ever reason, it still doesn't show up, I'll see if I can figure it out for you

Back
Top Bottom