• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

PIN locked phone and bluetooth

_Aardvark

Android Enthusiast
I'm curious about the behavior of the S3 when using bluetooth and a phone that has a PIN lock.

My current phone (Droid X) has an option called "bluetooth bypass" that allows the voice recognition app to start even if the phone is locked with a PIN. Turning the bypass off (or using the phone before Moto added this feature) would prevent the BT headset from working.

This was a major headache before this was added, since I had to unlock the phone to make a call while driving (not so hands free). I used to have to keep the screen always on (to prevent the phone from locking) while driving which was a hassle and killed my battery life.

Anyway, what does the S3 do when the screen if off, you have a PIN lock screen, and activate the BT headset?
Also, is it s-voice that is activated on the BT button press?

I'm curious about the behavior of the S3 when using bluetooth and a phone that has a PIN lock.

My current phone (Droid X) has an option called "bluetooth bypass" that allows the voice recognition app to start even if the phone is locked with a PIN. Turning the bypass off (or using the phone before Moto added this feature) would prevent the BT headset from working.

This was a major headache before this was added, since I had to unlock the phone to make a call while driving (not so hands free). I used to have to keep the screen always on (to prevent the phone from locking) while driving which was a hassle and killed my battery life.

Anyway, what does the S3 do when the screen if off, you have a PIN lock screen, and activate the BT headset?
Also, is it s-voice that is activated on the BT button press?

Hi, Aardvark, I asked a similar question in another forum, as I, too, have found this to be an annoying "flaw" with Samsung Androids. I was told that the S3 continues this flaw. There is no bluetooth bypass feature (like Motorola), and, unlike phones like those made by htc, you cannot activate a call via bluetooth without first unlocking the phone. This was very disappointing to me, as I WAS planning on getting an S3.

Hi,
I own a SamSung Galaxy S3 Model SGH-1747M running 4.1.1. We
encountered a major problem with the unit. We could not make outgoing
Bluetooth calls from our phones to our handsfree units. The units
were a Blueant S3 and a Motorola T505. The reason was that S Voice
could not start up with the phone locked with a PIN. A PIN was
critical on our phones as we use them for business and we have many
documents and contacts that we don't want easily accessible. After
reading countless forums and spending hours searching for an answer
(over 14), I am happy to report that a solution has been found.

By using Tasker and Secure Settings:
Profile->Bluetooth Connected
Task->PlugIn->Secure Settings->Password/Pin->Disabled
I then added an Exit Task
Task->Plugin0>Secure Settings->Password/Pin->Enabled (Set to my old
PIN number)

I have set this up for both of my BlueTooth units and it works like a
hot damn! I just wish someone would have posted this before I had
spent so much time searching for a solution. Hopefully this helps
someone!

Greg

Ok, I have the apps Tasker and Secure Settings installed. But it's not clear how to implement your fix. For instance I do not see "Bluetooth Connected" as an option under Profile. I would assume that would be an Event or a State but I couldn't find it anywhere...

Back
Top Bottom