• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Pitching Idea: Enhanced Back Cover for Prevail

Kamel

Jul 16, 2011
I'm the type person who can pretty much never leave good enough alone.

I've noticed with the prevail there are at least 4 major hardware improvements that could all be had with an improved back of the phone. Only one of these I'm uncertain about the feasibility of (number 4 in my list)

I'd like to pitch this idea and see if maybe it's already out there. If it's not and I'm not alone in what I'm looking for, maybe others will join in support for this and see if a manufacturer would be willing to produce this product.

The replacement back cover I have in mind will do the following:

1. Provide an extended battery (2,000+mah or not worth the effort)
  2. Provide an external connection to the antenna connector
  3. Have a lens that can be placed over the built in camera for closeups and better barcode scanning (have personally verified this works exceptionally well)
  4. Have a button for 'resetting' the device (SPST normally on switch which disconnects battery when pressed, preferably recessed needing something like a pen to press)

Please respond with any feedback, especially if such a product already exists or you know a company that may consider doing this.

I wouldnt mind having a better back cover. But really, you can get a 99cent snap on clear case on ebay that will help keep the cover on in case u drop your phone. The reset button isnt feasable, if you hold the power button for 10-20 seconds it reboots.

I get good enough signal so i dont care about an external ant connector.

They already make lenses. Fisheye, Macro, and Wide Angle Camera Phone Lenses

Upvote 0
Not sure you understood the reason I brought this up. a silicone case over the phone would not provide any of the functionality I've listed here.

The reset button is feasible if the extended battery is built in, the reset button could interrupt the connection between the battery and the connectors. Would it be worth the effort? I'm not sure, but worth listing as a possibility.

Even if you don't use the external antenna adapter, it wouldn't be a bad thing to have and doubt it would add a tremendous amount of cost to the production of the unit.

I'm not referring to a lens like that, I'm referring to a tiny plastic lens (roughly 2-5mm thick at most) that you can flip on/off the camera. That's completely overdoing it and not practical at all. I have personally verified this works wonderfully with a magnifying glass I have, but I'm not willing to destroy it for this purpose, and even if I did it would be a pain to keep up with a little plastic piece just to hold to the camera whenever I want to take a closeup shot.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones