• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Pixel 1 launcher

welbinator

Android Enthusiast
Anybody else HATE the Pixel 3 launcher? I would love it if I could revert back to the Pixel 1 launcher.

I'm tempted to try some 3rd party launchers but with the Pixel 3 only having 4GB of RAM I'm a bit hesitant to push it's boundaries.

Honestly 4gb of RAM on a phone is plenty to run a third party launcher as well. Just checked for the first time how much RAM my s8 is using after being left to sort itself out for two years and it was using just over 2gb of the 4gb ;)

I'm tempted to try some 3rd party launchers but with the Pixel 3 only having 4GB of RAM I'm a bit hesitant to push it's boundaries.
I wouldn't worry about pushing its boundaries. :)

If you want to try some launchers, I highly recommend ADW. I've been using its ADW Launcher 1 EX (paid version) forever. I just checked its memory usage: an average of 1.1MB over the past three hours. It's beautiful, has tons of icon packs and such available, and really gives you control over how your device looks and feels.

There's a newer version, ADW Launcher 2, but I've stuck with 1 because its options do everything I want.

Just FYI, everybody else will tell you to use Nova. I disagree! I've tried it, and it's a fine launcher, but I love ADW so much--and it suits my needs--I saw no need to switch.

"Only" 4GB of RAM? That's plenty: these phones sticking 8GB or more in are doing it as a marketing measure rather than because it's needed. How well the software is optimised is generally more important.

A third party launcher (Nova in my case) was the first thing I installed on my Pixel 2: it took less than a minute for the Pixel launcher's limitations and inflexibility to annoy me.

I dunno there seems to be a significant number of people complaining about memory issues, particularly when trying to run the Camera.

Attached is just one example, interestingly enough from an Android Launcher developer.

I might as well just try one and see how it goes. Worst case I go back to the crappy Pixel 3 launcher.

Attachments

• ram.jpeg
    ram.jpeg
    302.8 KB · Views: 86
That person describes what sound like system bugs - there's nothing in that post that provides any evidence that RAM is the problem. And they were running the beta operating system too.

Seriously, no issue at all with 4GB RAM. I can't speak for any problems the Pixel 3 itself might have, but they aren't because the RAM is inadequate.

The person also says he's running the beta of android Q...

So that's likely to be the biggest source of his problems....

Back
Top Bottom