• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Please, don't hurt me.

Splorg

Lurker
I inherited a Rezound today, and of course, the first thing I did was set to installing different firmware. I didn't follow directions (yes, I know, bad me), nor did I back up my stock firmware (really really bad me), and now I have a phone stuck at the lovely (infuriating) HTC splash screen. I've tried downloading complete RUU from Shipped ROMS and restoring that way, but the files seem to be corrupt :(

What can I do?

sounds like you made the classic mistake of flashing a rom requiring a different kernel,and then not properly installing the new kernel.

first thing i would try is booting your recovery,full wipe,and reflash the rom you want to run. info on booting recovery here: http://androidforums.com/rezound-all-things-root/587430-s-want-flash-roms-read.html

failing that youll need to run an ruu. the files are not corrupt,you likely are having firewall/antivirus issues,or your making that assumption based on the "windowd cannot open this file" error,wich is perfectly normal. make sure your md5s match that listed on shipped roms,and relock your bootloader to run an ruu. youll also need to pick the correct one based on your current hboot/build number.

relocking is done with:
fastboot oem lock

good luck! :)

I would settle for any ROM as a place to start.

I run into trouble when fastbooting temp recovery.
/

C:\Users\Nathan>fastboot devices
HT19YS204569 fastboot

C:\Users\Nathan>fastboot boot RUU_Vigor_VERIZ
.1123r_3161E_9K_QMR_release_233635_signed
cannot load 'RUU_Vigor_VERIZON_WWE_2.01.605.1
MR_release_233635_signed'

C:\Users\Nathan>fastboot boot recovery-ra-vig
cannot load 'recovery-ra-vigor-3.16-gnm.img'

/
Is this because I have a permanent recovery in place, and if so, how do I adapt the instructions?

Or am I still being a noob?

Sorry to be a pain in the tuchus, but the device does seem like a worth upgrade from my tried and true DInc2.

No,the exsistance of a permanent recovery won't hinder you.

You won't be able to boot the full ruu :eek:

Your other command looks like it may be missing parts. The cannot laod error is typically because:
- the image is not in the working directory
- the filename or extension does not match the image you're trying to boot.

Follow the steps in the other thread a little more closely,and you should be able to boot recovery.

Sorry for the short answer,I'm at work ATM :)

awsome :smokingsomb:

glad you are up and running.

just make sure you boot recovery in that manner whenever you need to flash a new rom,or restore a previous backup :)

Back
Top Bottom