• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Please Help! ANDROID CANNOT DETECT/RECOGNIZE SANDISK 128GB SD CARD

Hi. I would like to seek help or suggestions regarding the issue with my newly bought SD card.

My phone is a Huawei Y7 Pro 2019 and I bought a Sandisk 128GB SDXC card for additional storage capacity.

So, what I did was I immediately mounted the card in my phone to check of course, thinking it's compatible since stated in the specs that my phone accepts SDXC cards. My phone prompted that the SD was "Low Level", I just ignored that since that happened many times already with other sd cards i owned and it worked fine.

After that, I ejected the SD and plugged it in my laptop so that I can copy my files from my old SD (Sandisk 32GB) to the new one. Upon mounting the new SD card again in the phone, it showed that some files got corrupted/missing. I ejected the SD and reformatted it in the laptop using a card reader, but after that it wont read/detect in my phone anymore.

I've tried to fix it by doing these:
- Wiping/cleaning the actual SD card
- Fix by CHKDSK and via CMD
- scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors
- Changing the Drive Letter
- Reformatting it again using the SD Formatter, even formatting it in overwrite mode
- Tried formatting it to FAT32 using Tokiwa Fat32 Formatter, hoping it won't read because SD is in exFAT, but still, it didnt work.

I also tried mounting it to another phone, but still it was not detected.

The thing is, it is readable in my Laptop so I know it's not broken. Finally, I installed the exFAT/NTFS for USB by Paragon and connected the SD to card reader and then to my phone via OTG and amazingly it got detected. I was not able to mount it because it is a premium feature but it just confirmed that the SD is really still working.

Is there any way I can still use this SD card in my phone without using the card reader or even paying for the app? Or is it hopeless?

Thanks in advance!

New card and "some files got corrupted/missing" worries me. Where did you buy it from, and was it noticably cheap?

I'd be tempted, while you are not using it, to install a little app called h2testw on your computer and test the card to find out whether it really is a 128 GB card. There are a lot of "fakes" out there, small cards that have been reprogrammed to appear to the device as high capacity cards and then sold as such, and the main symptom of this is that when you fill it beyond the real capacity of the card data start to be overwritten (because the device thinks there's still free space on the card), resulting in corrupted files. h2testw will try to fill the card with test patterns and then read them back (so it will destroy any data on the card already), and if it is able to read 128GB back then the card is OK - if not, the best thing is to try to get your money back (and/or report the seller, if it was bought from somewhere like eBay or Amazon Marketplace - probably a waste of time if you bought it from a Chinese online market).

Upvote 0
New card and "some files got corrupted/missing" worries me. Where did you buy it from, and was it noticably cheap?

I'd be tempted, while you are not using it, to install a little app called h2testw on your computer and test the card to find out whether it really is a 128 GB card. There are a lot of "fakes" out there, small cards that have been reprogrammed to appear to the device as high capacity cards and then sold as such, and the main symptom of this is that when you fill it beyond the real capacity of the card data start to be overwritten (because the device thinks there's still free space on the card), resulting in corrupted files. h2testw will try to fill the card with test patterns and then read them back (so it will destroy any data on the card already), and if it is able to read 128GB back then the card is OK - if not, the best thing is to try to get your money back (and/or report the seller, if it was bought from somewhere like eBay or Amazon Marketplace - probably a waste of time if you bought it from a Chinese online market).

Thank you for your reply. Yes I bought it online and I'm not really sure if it's authentic.

I will definitely try the app h2testw. Thanks!

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones