• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Please Help - HTC One M7 custom Rom bootloop issue

MSMS9999

Lurker
Dec 14, 2018
Hi, I am hoping someone can assist me. I am attempting to flash RR v6 on my HTC One M7. Ugrading from Lollipop to Oreo. I am by no means a techie and have been trying to follow various guides/instructions from the web. No matter what I have tried, after flashing the Rom and Gapps etc. but no matter what I try, the phone bootloops. Doesn't matter if its an RR Rom, lineage or any other custom rom, after flashing it boot loops. I am following all the corrects steps in TWRP, wiping first, then installing the rom and gapps, have tried sideloading and even tried loading the boot.img file using fastboot as per one techy's suggestion. but cannot get thru this issue. phone recovers into stock no problem, but its very frustrating not being able to upgrage to a more current version of android on this phone. its temporary (2-3 months max) and I could manage on the older version, but if anyone can assist me with solving the bootloop issue, I would appreciate it. Thx

What firmware are you on? I don't mean ROM, but all of the behind the scenes stuff (radio, bootloader and other components)? If those are too old there may be compatibility issues. If you have flashed to stock using the most recent RUU for your model you should be fine though.

Exactly what model M7 is it (mu_ul, m7_whl, etc)? You should be able to see this from the top of the bootloader screen, possibly from the system menus. Most ROMs will be written for the commonest model (GSM+LTE, which if I recall correctly is the m7_ul), so if you have something odd like a CDMA model or a non-lte one then you need to check compatibility before flashing a ROM.

Some ROMs don't play well with particular TWRP versions, but if you've tried many different ones that's less likely to be an issue.

I'm afraid I've no experience of Oreo ROMs for the M7 (replaced mine before they existed), so don't know whether there are any special requirements for those. Have you tried something not so far beyond the M7's time, like Nougat or Marshmallow?

Upvote 0
Thanks for your reply. I tried your suggestion re installing a Rom before oreo and used the previous version of the RR Rom for 7.1.1 and it worked. BTW my M7 is the most common GSM version. Now that this one worked, I may try to upgrade to the oreo version of the Rom hoping that it will work based on a progression of Roms rather than going from stock to Oreo. If it doesn't work then I will just have to stick to 7.1.1.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones