• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Please help me flash the stock ROM (or anything that will work)

TarShoduze

Lurker
Jul 24, 2015
Hi.

I would like to apologize for asking people to help me, since I could just send it to some repair shop, but I just can't spend that much money XD

So it's my fault for trying to play with the fonts in my phone. I successfully replaced the first one but changing the second one made my phone get stuck at boot. It displays the Alcatel logo, then the boot animation, but it just won't end no matter how long I wait.

The phone runs on MTK platform, Android 4.2, rooted. I was smart enough to backup the original fonts before I messed around with it, but I was also dumb enough to forget to enable USB debugging. My computer had the right drivers and stuff, with ADB and all that, but I can't restore the original fonts because I do not have USB Debugging enabled.

I gave up and let my phone rest for around 3 months. But today, I really want to fix my phone so bad. I don't care if it loses my files--I just want it to run again.

If there are any other things I can try without USB Debugging--like flashing a custom recovery--to flash a custom ROM, or stuff. Please help me. I can't enable USB Debugging if it won't boot.

To be honest I would never want to mess with system software without either a custom recovery or already knowing how to reflash the phone in event of a problem. Even simple stuff can, as you've found, leave you unable to boot if it goes wrong.

Unfortunately I don't know Alcatels at all, but does it not have a "download" or "fastboot" mode you can put it into? From that state you should be able to flash a custom recovery (if one exists for that precise model of phone), and you may well be able to use ADB when in recovery mode as many custom recoveries include an adb daemon. In the worst case you can probably flash the phone back to stock from that state, but again I don't know the procedures or tools for doing that with an Alcatel.

It will probably be helpful if you tell us the exact phone model though.

Upvote 0
It's an Alcatel OneTouch Pop C5. Although I already did try booting into the stock recovery (named something like "Recovery 5e"), but found nothing similar to "flashboot". I tried creating a ZIP update package to replace the faulty fonts with the original ones, which I did backup, but the phone won't accept the update. It seems to be requiring an Alcatel-signed update package.
Anyway, I am almost giving up on it and trying to save money to send it to a repair shop. It'd be nice if I can avoid paying money, but it seems that I have no choice. I really did learn my lesson XD Thanks for the reply :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones