• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Please see this, need help immediately

demoans

Lurker
Okay so a Samsung Galaxy Prevail 2 (Boost Mobile Carrier) for like 5$ because he couldn't get it to work and just didn't want it any more. I figured i could fix it.

How the problem occurred: So from what I know he was attempting to root the phone (didn't really give me very many details) and during the process he messed it up and the phone shut off on him. Now from searching around I've found out that this is known as the phone being bricked? Now I don't know whether its a soft or hard brick and how to fix either one.

Details on problems from messing around with the phone:

• [*]Phone boots up to the samsung logo and then shuts off

[*]Is able to be facorty rest through power/volume method (but still turns on and shuts off after reset)

[*]Is able to be put into download mode

That is all i have been able to find out because well i have very limited access to it since it keeps shutting off on me. And yes I've tried removing the battery and letting it sit and even replacing the battery.

Hi and welcome to Androidforums :)

You said you can get into recovery? (the menu that allows you to perform a factory reset)

What does the top of that screen say?

If it says clockworkmod based recovery (or something similar) this will be an easy fix.

If not, the phone can still be saved, but it will take an additional step or two.

And follow the instructions and you would be up and running in no time.

You can find that here:
http://androidforums.com/showthread.php?t=762919

You need to use a computer running windows to install clockworkmod on the phone. You do this using a program called Odin.

You can find that here:
Odin-v3.04__<----LINK

-Unzip this to your computer
-Put the phone in downloading mode
-Connect the phone to the computer
-Open Odin-v3.04.exe
-Uncheck auto reboot
-Select PDA
-Select CWM-Pervail2-Ring-Kumajutsu.tar
-press start

Once Odin says success, unplug the phone and pull the battery

Now, replace the battery and boot into recovery. You should now see clockworkmod recovery. :)

Back
Top Bottom