• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Poll: battery life

What's your average battery life?

• Total voters

1500cc

There's a few threads on here about poor battery life. Some reviews have also mentioned it. Could it just be a few vocal outliers, or is this really a widespread issue?

For those who have had their HOX+ for a while, what's your average battery life? Obviously usage patterns will differ, but on the whole we should see a reasonably accurate average appear.

So I checked my battery stats under settings and was greeted with this:

2012-11-29%2008.55.33.png

21% for Android OS alone is abysmal, not to mention 19% on the messaging app, and 12% for facebook which I use scarcely. I thought this phone was suppose to have 60% more battery life than the HTC One X, clearly this is not the case.

I guess my experience is what I expected. It lasts longer than my One X did, but not by as long as HTC said. I've never used the power saving mode so I'm not sure what effect that would have however I'm still happy with mine.

It could be helpful if those who vote leave a brief summary of what their average usage is and what version of the handset they have.

I voted 8-12 hours

Ever since enabling the Power Saver mode my battery life has been great. I did a lot of browsing and data usage, including navigation the other day and still had around 50% at the end of the night. Not bad at all.

I have the AT&T One X+ and have been getting very good battery life. I am currently at 58% battery after 12 hours of use.
I had read a lot on how to initialize your smartphone battery for first use and most sites recommended to charge it initially for at least 7 hours before first use. I can say this made a huge difference in battery life on this phone as it is my second ONE X+. They swapped out my phone for this one because of the bluetooth sound quality issue and I asked them not to turn on the phone and let me take it home and charge it. The first phone I did not charge it right away and then only till it was green and the first few days I had the original phone it would be at like 20% or less battery. Within the first hour it would drop 10% or more. New phone takes hours to drop below 90% after I charged it properly. I was annoyed that none of the pamphlets that came with the phone mentioned how to charge it.
Oh well hope this helps some people.

I get at least two full days from a charge, a lot longer (double) if I'm busy at work. I've always had the power saving mode on and don't think it effects the day to day usage of the phone.

iHavoc,

Could you please clarify what you meant by initializing and charging your battery the right way in order to obtain your good results. I would like to hear what you did before I purchase this smartphone.

What did you do starting from the time you picked up your phone from the reseller? Also include what settings or commands you used on your One X+ prior to plugging in your recharger.
Be specific for this newbie :)

Thanks!

So after doing some research on conditioning your new cell phone battery. I came across a few articles that mentioned that the new batteries need to be conditioned before first use as this is not done at the factory. Most articles mentioned to charge at least 7 hours (some said 15 hours) for Lithium Ion cell phone batteries even if the phone showed that the battery was fully charged. Apparently the first charge is the most important and while the phone may show 100% it is not on the first charge.
This is one site 1 found - click here

When I went to the store and returned my original One X+ I asked them not to turn it on in the store to make sure they could call the phone. I told them I wanted to charge the battery fully before it was used. I then took it home plugged it in and did not turn on the phone until morning. It was on the charger for about 12 hours before I first turned it on and the battery life is much better than with the first one I had.
With the first phone they turned it on and then I linked my accounts and started to install all of my apps, by the time this was done the phone was at like 35-40% and then I charged it only until green and the battery life was terrible.

If you have the phone and did not do this try and return the phone based on the bluetooth sound quality issue and get another.

Hope this helps

I'm only three days in with my HOX+, but I'd say it's trending towards at least a full day's worth of battery. At first it seemed to drop quickly, but I turned off a lot of syncing and disabled apps I don't use (e.g. Facebook) and that's improved things. It's also a more linear battery than my old Desire ... the Desire used to last most of the day on the first 50%, then go for only an hour or so on the last 50% (it would actually shut off at 20%, so I knew at 30% I was toast). I'm not a heavy user though, just light browsing, maybe some book reading for most of the day. But overall I'd say it's going to be manageable to have to charge only at night.

Power saver button improves my battery usage by 50%+ and I haven't found any downside to using it. I'm not sure how it works but it seems to!

One thing that is bothering me is. Does anyone know how to check the Display On time usage on the One X+. I feel like they have taken that option out in sense 4+ which is silly to say the least.

If they did indeed take it out of Sense 4+ , does anyone know of a solid ap that monitors and outputs Display On time?

Thanks.

My advice: don't count out power saver mode

To my knowledge, power saver mode limits you to one core and turns off data connections when the screen is off.

This might sound unappealing to some (after all, quad-core was one of the biggest selling points), but it's not so bad when you consider that each core offers 1.7ghz. This should be more than capable for most of the things you do on your phone (if you seriously intend to game full-time, there's other devices much better suited for that...). Need more juice for a game? Turn power saver mode off... game... then back on again when you're done.

I really think "power saver mode" was a bad name choice. My personal opinion, they should have labeled it "performance mode" where all of your cores would be enabled after being checked.

I think people would feel less inadequate when putting their phone into power saver mode, making this mode "normal mode". It would also be more of a treat whenever you needed to enable "performance mode", instead of feeling let down whenever you have to go into "power saver mode".

I didn't notice any real difference in performance after I turned on power-saver mode, but I did get over four days off the next charge afterward.
I've never really played many games on any phone I've had, although I'm a big Mass Effect fan and will probably spend some quality time with ME Infiltrator which came preloaded on my phone :) I'll have to try both ways...with power saving on and off.

Back
Top Bottom