• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Pope Aligns Atheists with Nazis in Speech Today

Then you don't know atheism. Your attempt to insult me is noted but do you really think what I said was wrong? If so you either do not know atheism as well as you think you do or your blissfully ignorant. Either way now I've exposed the supposed lack of position in all these "religion is the problem" threads. Now lets focus on a solution not if a penis or a vagina is better.

Argument by assertion and ad hominem in the same paragraph already? :rolleyes:

This thread is becoming a shining example of why discussions of politics and religion are banned on some forums. :(

pft, 4 posts...rookie.

4 posts on this forum... ;)

On topic -
1. Yes, I have aready stated that I think you are wrong. If I didn't think you were wrong, I would not have expressed that opinion. Go back and read the post again.

2. Which was the insulting bit? Calling you a troll, or stating that, in my opinion, you were wrong?

3. Please supply evidence to back up your assertion as to my ignorance of atheism. It would be helpful if you could include any information you have as to my education, life experience and background.

4. Please supply a reasoned argument regarding the "lack of position" statement - in fact, please re-word the statement so that it makes sense.

5. The thread started with a discussion of remarks made by the Pope in a recent speech, and whether his remarks were appropriate or justified. If we are devolving into solutions to the problem of peaceful co-existence with people of differing beliefs, we may be some time.

Upvote 0
In this context, "extremist" appears to mean "someone who doesn't accept that being the Pope automatically makes me right".

Sadly, "anyone who disagrees with me" appears to be the definition adopted by the majority of people who use the term "extremist". In the Pope's case the term "atheist extremists" is ironic given the vast legacy of appalling crimes perpetrated in the name of some religion and/or its god.

Upvote 0
I dont feel a need to justify my opinions or my beliefs lol. I dont consider myself anything, athiest, agnostic, christian etc. I consider myself...me. Do i have strong opinions about certain things? yup, sure do. Shadow, i still stand by what i said in the illegal immigration thread, yes if you come here illegally and keep suckling on the american bleeding heart and NOT make some form of contribution that is beneficial to the rest of us living here that do pay taxes, vote, etc, then yes, drop em where they stand. If you want to play russian roulette, eventually you will loose.

Reactions: Crude
Upvote 0
Rational thought my friend.

Do let me know when you'll be starting.

Everything you're asking has been answered by me or someone else.
In the absolutely literal sense, this may well be true, although I feel your contribution to this has been minimal.

I bet you're assuming I'm Catholic huh? I'm actually just tired of atheists running their mouths.

Actually, I'm assuming nothing of the sort, nor in fact do I really care what your religious position is. The only assumption I have made is that there is a high probability that you are trolling, based solely on the evidence of this thread.
Note - hypothesis based on observed evidence.

I really can't see this thread developing usefully any further than it has, so I won't waste any more time with it.

Bye...

Upvote 0
Hitler being raised/ confirmed Catholic doesn't make him a Christian anymore than standing in your garage makes you a Cadillac. Nor, of course, a representative of the Christian faith/ piety.

No doubt, that there are some corrupt priests, a few "bad" popes, and some down right despicable members of the Christian faith. We hear more about these bad apples then we ever do about the hundreds of thousands of good people. Why? Because the NEWS can ONLY report the exceptions. Otherwise, it would take way too much time and, by definition, wouldn't be NEWS.

They can't report on all the good priests, all the people who DON'T get murdered or raped or abused. They can't report on all the marriages that DON'T end in divorce, etc.

Just because someone writes you a bad check doesn't mean that there isn't a real bank.

"I do not feel any contempt for an atheist, who is often a man limited and constrained by his own logic to a very sad over simplification." - GK Chesterton ("Babies and Distributism" The Well and the Shallows)

Upvote 0
Shadow, i still stand by what i said in the illegal immigration thread, yes if you come here illegally and keep suckling on the american bleeding heart and NOT make some form of contribution that is beneficial to the rest of us living here that do pay taxes, vote, etc, then yes, drop em where they stand. If you want to play russian roulette, eventually you will loose.
Execution of illegal aliens?
Thats just plain crazy dude, I'm sorry

You seem like a nice guy, but seriously, a life is a life :(

Sorry for OT

Upvote 0
Execution of illegal aliens?
Thats just plain crazy dude, I'm sorry

You seem like a nice guy, but seriously, a life is a life :(

Sorry for OT

I concur. Though, in my life, I have never gone through my daily life and go "I dont have X, screw those illegals". To most, illegal immigration does not affect there lives in every minute detail, for some they do because they let them.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Do let me know when you'll be starting.

In the absolutely literal sense, this may well be true, although I feel your contribution to this has been minimal.

Actually, I'm assuming nothing of the sort, nor in fact do I really care what your religious position is. The only assumption I have made is that there is a high probability that you are trolling, based solely on the evidence of this thread.
Note - hypothesis based on observed evidence.

I really can't see this thread developing usefully any further than it has, so I won't waste any more time with it.

Bye...

Yeah I won't waste my time either. 7 posts and two of them at constructed to be insulting. Bye.

Upvote 0
Off Topic: There is no definitive answer as to whether or not Atheism can be considered a religion or not. The definition itself merely states that an atheism is the doctrine or belief that there is no god/diety. But at the same time, religion can be defined as a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects. In this instance one could consider atheism a religion of sorts. It all comes down to how one interprets the information given.

Upvote 0
Off Topic: There is no definitive answer as to whether or not Atheism can be considered a religion or not. The definition itself merely states that an atheism is the doctrine or belief that there is no god/diety. But at the same time, religion can be defined as a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects. In this instance one could consider atheism a religion of sorts. It all comes down to how one interprets the information given.

Actually what you said is called agnostic. Atheism is the lack of believe; so you don't believe in the question "is there a god". In other words if you think your belief is right then you clearly believe and therefore cannot be atheist. But you are mostly right otherwise. The fact that an atheist participates in a thread about religion would mean they are agnostic.

Upvote 0
Actually what you said is called agnostic. Atheism is the lack of believe; so you don't believe in the question "is there a god". In other words if you think your belief is right then you clearly believe and therefore cannot be atheist. But you are mostly right otherwise. The fact that an atheist participates in a thread about religion would mean they are agnostic.

Posting in a thread about religion has nothing to do whether you are atheist or not. You can be agnostic, atheist, satanist, whatever you want and still participate in a thread. There is no universal rule that states an atheist cannot take part in a religious thread.

Also, an agnostic is a person who holds that the existence of the ultimate cause, as god, and the essential nature of things are unknown and unknowable, or that human knowledge is limited to experience. Nowhere in my post did I mention that.

Upvote 0
No I agree with you, but they could have let the authorities investigate allegations of paedophilia made against some of them.

Crude, you seem bent on putting down atheists, yes I am an atheist but I dont have a problem with those who chose to believe in a god, I just dont happen to agree with them. Neither do I have a problem with Catholics or even the Catholic church for its beliefs, what I do have a problem with is the way the Catholic church covered up the acts of 1000's of paedophile priests and protected them from prosecution.

Upvote 0
...In other words if you think your belief is right then you clearly believe and therefore cannot be atheist...
Rubbish,
...The fact that an atheist participates in a thread about religion would mean they are agnostic.
and rubbish.

An atheist simply believes there is no god; that doesn't preclude an atheist from having beliefs. For example, I believe if I hit my hand with a hammer it will hurt, I share this belief with people of many religions... however I'm an atheist.

The fact that an atheist takes part in a discussion about religion would not make him an agnostic; I simply can't understand why you would think this, but it does show that you don't know what you're talking about on this issue.

Upvote 0
No I agree with you, but they could have let the authorities investigate allegations of paedophilia made against some of them.

Crude, you seem bent on putting down atheists, yes I am an atheist but I dont have a problem with those who chose to believe in a god, I just dont happen to agree with them. Neither do I have a problem with Catholics or even the Catholic church for its beliefs, what I do have a problem with is the way the Catholic church covered up the acts of 1000's of paedophile priests and protected them from prosecution.

To be fair, Pope Pope Benedict XVI is responsible for taking a firm stance against the child molestation issues within the Catholic Church. This, however, will take a long time to make up for the way the church handled this situation in the past.

Upvote 0

wow. and yet you keep going....

wow.

Upvote 0

That sounds more like an atheist. I honestly have no problem with atheist, like most religions. I've been here for a while and we've chewed up almost every religion there is in the name of a fake atheism. I just wanted to take a stand in one thread and knock on those that won't shut up about how superior their lack of direction in life is.

Upvote 0
That sounds more like an atheist. I honestly have no problem with atheist, like most religions. I've been here for a while and we've chewed up almost every religion there is in the name of a fake atheism. I just wanted to take a stand in one thread and knock on those that won't shut up about how superior their lack of direction in life is.

So in order to have a direction in life, you need to believe in a giant invisible man in the sky rather than proven science?

Upvote 0
...fake atheism... ...their lack of direction in life is.
Fake atheism? you mean those that say they don't believe in God, but actually do? WHo are you pointing your finger at on that count?

As for a lack of direction, what are you talking about? Are you saying that the only goals in life that give one a direction are to get to heaven?

I don't recall which flavour of religious kool-aid is your poison, but ever considered that the direction you've decided to take in your life might just be leading you down a dead-end?

Upvote 0
Fake atheism? you mean those that say they don't believe in God, but actually do? WHo are you pointing your finger at on that count?

As for a lack of direction, what are you talking about? Are you saying that the only goals in life that give one a direction are to get to heaven?

I don't recall which flavour of religious kool-aid is your poison, but ever considered that the direction you've decided to take in your life might just be leading you down a dead-end?

"...the lack of rational thought is staggerring"

Crude its time for a sig change ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones