• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root possibly bricked?

New Rising

Android Enthusiast
I bought a dx off ebay to practice rooting, which i did. I installed the liberty rom and things were running smooth until the bottom 4 buttons were unusable but the screen was still responsive. Then the volume started moving up and down by itself and the touchscreen got really laggy. Needless to say i eventually used the linux cd to root it back to stock. I rooted again and installed the apex rom and things were running ok. I thought i might give the liberty rom another shot because i liked it a lot. Eventually i had the same exact problems again and tried to sbf my phone but now im unable to. I've used the linux cd and rsd lite method but when im finished and take out the battery and replace it, i cant get past the M logo or get into recovery mode. The phone still powers on and is still able to boot in bootloader. Is my phone fried or what?

no.

boot into factory recovery and do a factory wipe/reset

power and volume up/down then search button i believe for factory recovery.

That brings me into the bootloader, stock recovery is holding the home button down then hitting the power button. Which I am unable to do :(

what is it about the bottom for buttons that no longer work? did you buy it off from the guy on ebay like this?

No they worked, it wasn't until i rooted that the bottom 4 buttons would stop working. The bottom 4 buttons would become competely useless, none of them would work. Although i rooted it the night i got the phone, i probably should've used it on stock for a few days to make sure everything was working like it's supposed to. I did have it on stock for the first few hours i had the phone and it seemed to work fine. So i dont know if it's something i did or if there's a hardware problem with the phone.

well i can assure you, rooting does not cause these issues, all rooting does is give you full permission of your phone. the fact the buttons quit working is an entirely different situation

well i can assure you, rooting does not cause these issues, all rooting does is give you full permission of your phone. the fact the buttons quit working is an entirely different situation

Well that's somewhat good to know, i thought it could be something that i did that caused the problem. So am i basically kinda screwed here?

well not exactly, if you can leave the phone be for a few hours, and find someone with a dx or dx2, or take the battery to vzw and have them charge it to full strength.

then every 3-4 hours try booting to stock recovery, you are holding down home button and power and it doesnt show you a triangle correct?

every 3-4 hours hold home+power and only let power go once the phone cuts on, and continue holding home, then wait, if the droid eye comes up, remove the battery, and try again in another few hours.

well not exactly, if you can leave the phone be for a few hours, and find someone with a dx or dx2, or take the battery to vzw and have them charge it to full strength.

then every 3-4 hours try booting to stock recovery, you are holding down home button and power and it doesnt show you a triangle correct?

every 3-4 hours hold home+power and only let power go once the phone cuts on, and continue holding home, then wait, if the droid eye comes up, remove the battery, and try again in another few hours.

Yeah i cant get to the triangle at all, i was able to charge the battery because i know someone who has a dx and she let me use it to charge the battery. Her dad actually works for motorola ironically, im not sure how he'd feel about me rooting heh. Thanks for your help though, I'll keep trying to get into stock recovery but it's not looking likely.

I hate to say this but there is always the possibility you got taken. I don't trust people sellin stuff on e-bay. Yeah it powers on, yeah it works, but oh damn, they ain't gonna tell you it does work as it should.

With that being said, you said the hard buttons just stopped working. That leads me to believe you are dealing with a possible hardware failer, I:E the hardkeys are working intermitently. That would make sense as you say you cannot get into stock recovery.

Getting into stock recovery requires you to hold the home key+power key at the same time. No working homekey=no stock recovery. What I would do if I were you is go back to e-bay and bash this guy till he gives you your money back. E-bay can help you with that.

Then DON"T buy another phone from e-bay. Go to your local area Craigslist and look for a phone there. You have to be careful with them people as well but at least you have the advantage of being able to meet this person and play with the phone to make sure everything works as it should.

You can even call his carrier and verify the IMED numbers are good. If everything checks out then buy the phone. If anyone is unwilling to cater to you on this, don't trust them and move on.

Now I'm hoping this isn't the case and you get that puppy working again. But if not, at the very least, you learn from your mistakes. Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

actually going to ebay and bashing the guy will not get the job done, as he may have stated several things, and the phone worked when rising got it, its not the sellers fault the hard buttons quit working.

there is in fact no way to prove it was the sellers fault

actually going to ebay and bashing the guy will not get the job done, as he may have stated several things, and the phone worked when rising got it, its not the sellers fault the hard buttons quit working.

there is in fact no way to prove it was the sellers fault

Yeah I know that. I'm just saying from the standpoint that if this guy was dishonest in any way. I know allot of people don't anyways read everything so it would be in the op best interest to go over the post again for the phone and check to be sure this guy did or didn't state any problems with the phone.

If it was listed as being in perfect working condition or like new condition the op may have recource for a refund.

but again its going to be very hard to prove the seller had anything to do with the buttons no longer working. the op had the phone for a while, played with it, then rooted and the buttons quit, its obviously a hardware failure, but it is going to be hard to prove it was the sellers fault

edit:
that and we do not know it the op dropped it any, or what kind of abuse it went through, or how long he had it before this happened

but again its going to be very hard to prove the seller had anything to do with the buttons no longer working. the op had the phone for a while, played with it, then rooted and the buttons quit, its obviously a hardware failure, but it is going to be hard to prove it was the sellers fault

edit:
that and we do not know it the op dropped it any, or what kind of abuse it went through, or how long he had it before this happened

That's true too. I guess the best way to be safe is to do what I said and don't buy from e-bay. You can't check out the merchandise first. If everything is good to go and it's owner error than that's on you. I'm not saying everyone selling on e-bay is dishonest. I just prefer to not take the chance.

thats true, i also do not trust ebay that well.

and you must look at the rating of the seller, if they are preferred, and the rating

I got the phone the first of february. I never dropped the phone or anything or did any damage it to it. I was thinking about complaining to the seller, but i rooted the phone and he gave it to me stock. I figure he'd could come back with that reason on why the buttons stopped working. Even though you guys are saying rooting would have absolutely no effect on the buttons like that? I just don't understand why they stopped working, i got it for $80 so it's not that bad. I guess maybe I can sell it for parts or something. Probably wont be buying phones off ebay anymore. I tried sbf'ing the phone back to froyo just for the hell of it, didn't work though.

yeah 14 days after recieving it and the buttons quit working on say the 12, or even 10th, wouldnt get you very far with ebay on that nature, you could try asking the seller if he ever had any issues with the buttons, but if they were working fine for the moment, then you rooted and they stopped, kinda tough. but its also quite impossible the root caused the buttons to quit working

You can ask anyone. rooting does NOT cause any kind of damage to the phone. It would be my guess the seller knew something was wrong with the phone and didn't say anything.

After all, selling something on e-bay that may be damaged is your best option to actually sell it. Because like I said before, you can't check out the product first before you buy.

And you're right New Rising, $80 bucks isn't too bad compared to what some others get ripped off. Just let this be a learning experiance and don't purchace anything from e-bay unless you do your research first.

AS VS said, check their ratings. How good, how bad, complaints, etc. But you do have another option. You can turn around and sell it on your local Craigslist as a parts phone and get at the very least $50 or 60 bucks for it. That'll ease up your pocket alittle for what you paid for it.

And you did also mention you baught the phone to practice rooting so i'm gonna assume it's not your primary phone?

You can ask anyone. rooting does NOT cause any kind of damage to the phone. It would be my guess the seller knew something was wrong with the phone and didn't say anything.

After all, selling something on e-bay that may be damaged is your best option to actually sell it. Because like I said before, you can't check out the product first before you buy.

And you're right New Rising, $80 bucks isn't too bad compared to what some others get ripped off. Just let this be a learning experiance and don't purchace anything from e-bay unless you do your research first.

AS VS said, check their ratings. How good, how bad, complaints, etc. But you do have another option. You can turn around and sell it on your local Craigslist as a parts phone and get at the very least $50 or 60 bucks for it. That'll ease up your pocket alittle for what you paid for it.

And you did also mention you baught the phone to practice rooting so i'm gonna assume it's not your primary phone?

Yeah the guy said the phone was working fine with a clean esn, and i was able to activate it so that was ok. No mention about buttons not working or any hardware problems. Yes i just bought it to practice rooting, my primary phone is my Droid Bionic. Although I just rooted my Bionic the other day and having no problems. I probably will be selling the DX on craigslist for parts soon.

Back
Top Bottom