• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Post your SD card read/write speeds

FLAWLESSVW

I'm curious what you guys are seeing for SD r/w speeds. I recently "upgraded" to a SanDisk Ultra 32gb Class-10 (UHS-1) which is supposed to be screaming fast. I bought it from a reputable retailer (Micro Center) and have tried two of the same card so far after seeing less than stellar results with the first card and exchanging.

I'm seeing approx
3.5mbps write
7.5mbps read

This card should be pushing more than that. To test I've used:
SD Tools
SD Card Tester
Antutu

I've formatted in various methods which made no improvement (in the first card... See below) I know our devices have limitations but I would think it should do better than that?

Trying to see if my device is having issues, or if I've gotten 2 bad cards (bad batch, fakes?) or something else is up?

Lemme know:
Speeds
Card make and class
Tool used to test
How your card is formatted.

Interesting note, I tested the first card in my PC and got bad speeds too. Haven't tested this one in PC yet, wanted to get this thread kicked off since I'm tearing my hair out with my supposed top of the line card :/

I have a Sandisk Ultra 16gig class 10

With SD tools I get
6.7 MB/s write
8.8 MB/s read
format is the way the phone does it (used the phones format utility)

Now on the internal SD card (phone's usb storage) the speeds are awesome
22.3 MB/s write
52.3 MB/s read

Codegerm

Yeah I can't get to 8.
CG, your SanDisk Ultra is the all black one that's just Class 10 (not UHS-1) right?

Mine is the red and gray one pictured here http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007XZM6VG

I'm wondering if our phone doesn't play nicely with the UHS-1 flavor? I can't see a reason to pay $32 if the speeds are like class 6. I'm going to return it again and grab a basic class 10 and see what happens.

I do want something that will handle shooting 1080p smoothly. Will keep you posted.

Meantime let's see some more test results!

No, mine is grey red on top. I also got it in the camera department at best buy instead of the sd cards by the cellphones. I did that for two reasons, first is speed is more of a requirement on the cameras and video camera equipment, and second is that strangely enough the cards cost less than the ones in the cellphone area (which is so odd)

Hmm.

Is it a UHS-1 rated card though? See the logo on my card in the link above. Supposedly UHS-1 is the next step above Class 10 (like 30mbps).

I also got mine from the camera section @ Micro Center and agree with your logic.

I may check to see if they have a Class 10 in the same card (non UHS-1) to test.

i have same card 16 gb, 7.8mbps write, 8.0 mbps read.
i think its more with how much bandwidth the phone can use. i m sure u will get higher speeds if u check sd card speed connected to your usb 3.0 slot on PC.

Hey CG I forgot to report back... Remember a couple months ago I posted about the couple second delay when turning the phone on from sleep and that I found it had gone away when I took out my generic class4 sd card?

Incidentally, I started using my SanDisk (I'm ok with the 7mb speeds I'm getting after formatting internally) and that 2-2.5 second delay is gone. That sd card was for sure slowing my phone down when waking from sleep and the SanDisk doesn't seem to. I've only been testing for a day but it seems fine now :screwy:

Ok I'm feeling better seeing that I'm in the ballpark after looking at a lot of these results. I appreciate you guys giving feedback on this (and saving me endless trips back to the store to exchange my card!)

Back