• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Poweramp playlist handling very frustrating

angelsix

Aug 7, 2010
I have an LG V20. The stock music players are unsatisfactory. Google Music has lots of features, but keeps assuming I want to use the cloud (I don't ... I want to use my library of mp3's). The stock Music player doesn't even recognize playlists. My old music player (from my Note 4) was MixZing, but it won't work on my phone. So, I downloaded Poweramp, assuming that such a popular and well-seasoned app would handle something like playlists with no problem.

Never figured out how to transfer my playlists from my Note 4 to my V20, but I had most of them in .m3u format on my computer. So, I copied my music files and m3u playlists into the SD card on my V20. I was delighted to see that Poweramp could read and use my m3u playlists to create in-phone playlists that I can edit. BUT, it's been very frustrating.

For a while, when I looked at my playlists, Poweramp would ONLY show me the m3u ones, and showed none of the Poweramp playlists (editable by phone). E.g., I created a new Poweramp playlist, which it wouldn't show but clearly existed because when I tried to create it again, I got a warning that this would delete the existing one. So, then I deleted the m3u files, which seemed to work. Poweramp then showed the Poweramp playlists that it created from my m3u files, as well as the new one I'd created (plus a few of the "File-based Playlists" which, apparently I'd stored in the music folders and haven't yet deleted). Maybe there's a limit to the number of playlists Poweramp can handle, and this number is secret, so deleting almost all the m3u's took care of the problem.

Meanwhile Poweramp has now duplicated almost all of its playlists, adding a " 1" to the end of the name of each, so apparently I have to go now and delete each of those manually.

What's very frustrating is that I'm trying stuff and figuring it out, using an app that is not free. They shouldn't make it so hard.

I have two requests:
#1 -- if you know where there's a clear, comprehensive manual for using Poweramp, please tell me where to find it.
#2 -- if you know what I did wrong to cause these problems (like duplicating my playlists) please let me know.

I tried to post this on Poweramp's in-house forum, but they claim (twice) to have sent me an email to validate my signing up, and the emails don't come through (to my gmail address). ...sigh

Poweramp is horrible with playlists. When I import playlists into the Android Playlist folder Poweramp will not update them or even see them. I need a music app that sees & reads plaaylists I create outside of the app. I don't want to spend hours creating playlists from inside the app. Google Music app is just as bad.

Is there such an app?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones