• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Prelude] Azazel Rom (Z993 AIO)

Hello everyone sorry I have been gone. I got rid of my z993 for a moto G. But I had no idea there was still so much activity here so I may do another rom build in the future. anyhow a aosp kernel (stock) will not work with CM :-( and I could never get ZTE to give me the source.

PS If having data isues just wipe everything factory reset and in mounts and storage wipe everything again. Then try again it may take two or three times for it to flash right. Seems to be hit or miss.

I would first like to say thank you, this has been a very easy step by step learning experience for me. I am new to the phone end of things generally only using them as a tool. I recently changed from Verizon to AIO, due to the rising cost. I the process I acquired the ZTE Z993 and have a friend that would like to use it on an AT&T Network, Since I did not remain on contract it is Sim Locked to the AIO Network, I ported my number in on a new account, so here I am trying to unlock The phone.
The steps you have provided are very detailed and some of the posts have helped in their errors to make it easier for me. However I must be missing a step somewhere as the phone still reads "SIM/RUIM is PERSO locked". I am sure this is an oversight on my part, as everything seems to work with the AIO SIM in Place on WIFI.
Again Great Work.
D.Sweet

I would first like to say thank you, this has been a very easy step by step learning experience for me. I am new to the phone end of things generally only using them as a tool. I recently changed from Verizon to AIO, due to the rising cost. I the process I acquired the ZTE Z993 and have a friend that would like to use it on an AT&T Network, Since I did not remain on contract it is Sim Locked to the AIO Network, I ported my number in on a new account, so here I am trying to unlock The phone.
The steps you have provided are very detailed and some of the posts have helped in their errors to make it easier for me. However I must be missing a step somewhere as the phone still reads "SIM/RUIM is PERSO locked". I am sure this is an oversight on my part, as everything seems to work with the AIO SIM in Place on WIFI.
Again Great Work.
D.Sweet

First, I hope you know Verizon CDMA phones aren't compatible with GSM networks aka AIO. now just some questions.

You brought over the verizon Z993 version over to AIO?
Why would you assume it would work?
Did you ask for an unlock code from them?

also you said it is SIM locked to the AIO network but you were using the phone on verizon, could you explain that a little more? I'm confused by that statement. and as far as AIO goes. According to customer service, they unlocked AIO branded phones after 4 months.

First, I hope you know Verizon CDMA phones aren't compatible with GSM networks aka AIO. now just some questions.

You brought over the verizon Z993 version over to AIO?
Why would you assume it would work?
Did you ask for an unlock code from them?

also you said it is SIM locked to the AIO network but you were using the phone on verizon, could you explain that a little more? I'm confused by that statement. and as far as AIO goes. According to customer service, they unlocked AIO branded phones after 4 months.
Sorry if I miss stated. I set up a test account with AIO using their free Z993 phone.after using it for about 3 weeks I decided to port my verizon number into the AIO system, to do that I had to start over, which I did. Now I have the AIO Z993 which is locked to their network till the end of April and I purchased from AIO an Apple 5S for the ported number. If I don't mind waiting they Will give me the unlock code for the ZTE Z993. However I was needing a replacement phone for my work and thought I might be able to get the AIO z993 unlocked to do that. The service on the iPhone with AIO is great and I have no plans of going back to verizon. Just trying to save a Nickel on my work phone replacement. I may just have to wait till my 4 months are up. Thank you for the reply.

As a newbie to this sort of thing, can someone give me a quick primer on how to actually flash a new ROM onto my Z993? I downloaded the Azazel ROM, but I don't see a CWM version for the ZTE Prelude (a few other ZTE models are listed on the CWM website).

I installed the ROM on my AT&T Avail 2 is pretty nice and it significantly boosted my phones performance. One problem though is that the camera is off centered and squashed on the preview but the final picture is fine.

A number of folks have said that after some work, they have gotten this ROM working on the he Avail 2. Perhaps over on the Avail 2 forum we can get a list going of exact steps to flash, any potential gotchas, things that don't work, etc.

I may be trying this ROM soon myself, picking up an Avail 2 shortly, but this will be my first Android device, so I'm planning to take things slow. :)

I have the avail 2 (z992) and at first I had a few failed attempts trying to flash to Azazel. (I used the cwm recovery.) It would finish installating the rom, but when it booted up I got a recurring error message that the system and the systm UI was crashing over and over. What I did then, was I wiped the data, wiped cache partition, went to mounts and storage and formatted the cache, the data,and the system, as well as also went into advanced options and wiped the Dalvich cache too... I wiped it ALL. Then followed the standard procedure...the next step is what made the difference...at the end of the rom flash, in the recovery menu I chose the advanced options, and chose 'reboot recovery' instead of the 'reboot system now' option. After that, the rom booted up and it works like a charm...I really am glad I chose Azazel over the stock rom!

:proud:

I just want to say that I am much happier with this rom than the stock rom. With it, my phone is faster, performs markedly better and there just isnt a darn thing wrong with it. It is stable and more responsive. Its like having a different, better phone, I think. The creator did a top-notch job in formulating this one.
No more of the lock-ups, or freezes where the phone wouldn't respond to anything, and also my battery life has improved by about 3 times. Before I was constantly having to charge my phone, even if it sat idle. Now I can use apps and play games all the time and the battery just keeps on going.

yup the rom is good like you said. very good. thing is it shows up as a z993 phone instead of a z992 phone

yup the rom is good like you said. very good. thing is it shows up as a z993 phone instead of a z992 phone

Yes, it will. The ROM contains information that tells it the make and model of the device, so since the ROM was created for the Prelude (Z993) that is the info that gets reported back.

A separate version of this ROM would need to be created to report the device as a Z992. Really, this is just a cosmetic thing, there should be no functionality difference.

gotchu. :) glad to hear on that. so its still an at&t phone despite the fact it reads z993 right?

Correct. You should have the ATT logo on the screen to indicate your carrier, calls should work fine, etc. I have an ATT phone flashed with this ROM, working just fine.

great. glad to hear that. hopefully we can see cyanogenmod or other types of roms on here. what do you think

great. glad to hear that. hopefully we can see cyanogenmod or other types of roms on here. what do you think

See here: http://androidforums.com/zte/797786-avail-2-source-code.html

I 'might' be making some progress getting ZTE to release the code, but we need more people bugging AT&T and AIO (which is owned by AT&T) to request that ZTE release the source. We need to work through the carriers to make this request officially. The more requests they get, the more likely something will happen.

Once we have code, I would think things should come together fairly quickly.

See here: http://androidforums.com/zte/797786-avail-2-source-code.html

I 'might' be making some progress getting ZTE to release the code, but we need more people bugging AT&T and AIO (which is owned by AT&T) to request that ZTE release the source. We need to work through the carriers to make this request officially. The more requests they get, the more likely something will happen.

Once we have code, I would think things should come together fairly quickly.

but i believe at&t is stubborn on releasing the source code

Azazel Rom
For the ZTE z993 AIO wireless

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I flashed this rom successfully yet after boot and upon welcome screen these errors occur --- "unfortunately, the process com.android.phone has stopped" " unfortunately, the process system UI has stopped" "unfortunately, the process android.process.acore has stopped"
any idea as to how i can fix this?

Sorry if I miss stated. I set up a test account with AIO using their free Z993 phone.after using it for about 3 weeks I decided to port my verizon number into the AIO system, to do that I had to start over, which I did. Now I have the AIO Z993 which is locked to their network till the end of April and I purchased from AIO an Apple 5S for the ported number. If I don't mind waiting they Will give me the unlock code for the ZTE Z993. However I was needing a replacement phone for my work and thought I might be able to get the AIO z993 unlocked to do that. The service on the iPhone with AIO is great and I have no plans of going back to verizon. Just trying to save a Nickel on my work phone replacement. I may just have to wait till my 4 months are up. Thank you for the reply.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you think your unlock code will work for my ZTE-z993? Cricket wont give one to me for another 2 months.

Azazel Rom
For the ZTE z993 AIO wireless

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I flashed this rom successfully yet after boot and upon welcome screen these errors occur --- "unfortunately, the process com.android.phone has stopped" " unfortunately, the process system UI has stopped" "unfortunately, the process android.process.acore has stopped"
any idea as to how i can fix this?

I had this problem and fixed it using the post instructions from page 1 of this topic that said:

Try clicking "mounts and storage"
- format data
- format system
- format cache

Just remember your device may vary and this is all try at your own risk.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you think your unlock code will work for my ZTE-z993? Cricket wont give one to me for another 2 months.

My understanding is the unlock code is unique to the phone not the network.

yeah i saw that and tried it.. and the ROM works great. As for the SIM unlock code... that sucks. I haven't tried using another SIM with the new ROM, maybe it will work.
Are you aware of any other ROM's or kernels for the ZTE-z993? My kernel has to many restrictions. though I'm not sure if the Azazel ROM flashed a new kernel cause i didn't make a note of the kernel version before the flash.

Also there is a problem with wallpapers, upon pasting one its blown up way to big as if the ROM is telling it that the screen is bigger than 320x480. This happens even after cropping an image to those specifications. Any way to fix this? I've checked the build.prop using ROM Toolbox Pro and there isn't a way to edit it through there. Also the/my kernel won't allow page swap for using SD card as RAM... any fix for that?

yeah i saw that and tried it.. and the ROM works great. As for the SIM unlock code... that sucks. I haven't tried using another SIM with the new ROM, maybe it will work.
Are you aware of any other ROM's or kernels for the ZTE-z993? My kernel has to many restrictions. though I'm not sure if the Azazel ROM flashed a new kernel cause i didn't make a note of the kernel version before the flash.

Also there is a problem with wallpapers, upon pasting one its blown up way to big as if the ROM is telling it that the screen is bigger than 320x480. This happens even after cropping an image to those specifications. Any way to fix this? I've checked the build.prop using ROM Toolbox Pro and there isn't a way to edit it through there. Also the/my kernel won't allow page swap for using SD card as RAM... any fix for that?

All I know is that this is best we get for this device, nobody else seems to be working on it I can tell, or did work on it, and it usually comes down to ZTE doesn't like to share information on their devices to modders.

As for wallpapers, I have this same problem on my PacMan Rom tablet as well, I think it's possibly android doing it. At one time there was a program would make the wallpapers for you, but I don't know what it was...something like wizardry but I gave up trying to fix it.

[In reference to the "Not registered on network" error and comment #23]

That extra slip of paper on the sim card worked for me too. Maybe sticking the phone in my back pocket squashed it. Wish I'd thought to read this forum several months ago. Thank you, iBeastOnYou!

Last edited:
Sorry for necro-ing an old thread. But I had to say thanks. I have recently been rooting, CWM-ing and ROMming a few phones (just getting into the Android modding thing) and I got a few cheap used phones to experiment and learn on. Well, one of those was an Avail 2 and this seems to be the only working custom ROM for it. So I did manage to root the phone with KingoRoot and managed to install CWM 6.0.3.7. Then added this ROM. It all worked, but as noted a few posts up it took a FULL wipe of everything to boot up without errors.

I have the avail 2 (z992) and at first I had a few failed attempts trying to flash to Azazel. (I used the cwm recovery.) It would finish installating the rom, but when it booted up I got a recurring error message that the system and the systm UI was crashing over and over. What I did then, was I wiped the data, wiped cache partition, went to mounts and storage and formatted the cache, the data,and the system, as well as also went into advanced options and wiped the Dalvich cache too... I wiped it ALL. Then followed the standard procedure...the next step is what made the difference...at the end of the rom flash, in the recovery menu I chose the advanced options, and chose 'reboot recovery' instead of the 'reboot system now' option. After that, the rom booted up and it works like a charm...I really am glad I chose Azazel over the stock rom!

:proud:

So far all seems well and good. The phone is working as it should and is noticeably quicker and more responsive. So great work on working that out. I'll be adding a few apps here to control CPU clocking and such then see how much better it runs since this phone's biggest issue was its sluggish performance.

THANKS AGAIN!

One question, though. If I add another launcher/theme will it hurt anything? Some launchers are pretty lightweight (like Hola or APUS) and they helped this phone's performance before the new ROM. So was wondering. Guess I could just try and find out, huh? LOL

Back
Top Bottom