• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Prevail 2 Boost Mobile - plan needed

Looking to get the kids a smartphone, but without the phone. Not interested in paying Apple's mark-up for the iTouch, and the Samsung Galaxy Media players are outrageous for new versions (which appear it seems only on eBay) and it seems iffy to buy a refurb for these at the price.

So, I was looking at a no-contract phone route and saw the Prevail 2.

Question is -- does anyone know if I can use the phone as Wi-Fi only, without activating it? Or, if I do have to activate, can I do so for a daily plan, cancel that, and THEN use the devise Wi-Fi only? We want for Google Talk, android Market and games, MP3 playback, and email, all while on Wi-Fi.

Any help.thoughts here are GREATLY appreciated -- thanks!

Wifi has nothing to do with activating the phone. I have a Precedent (the Sprint version of the Prevail) that used to be activated, but I ported out to AT&T. The phone still works - on wifi. Whether it's activated, was activated, never was, etc., is irrelevant. I don't think there's a daily plan but if you needed the phone as a phone for a short time, you could activate it and use it for a month (they're monthly "plans"), then just not pay any more and go back to wifi.

Oh, and the phone will work to dial 911 - activated, never activated - ALL cellphones sold in the US have to be able to make 911 calls. (Even stolen ones do, but I think you'd get into a bit of trouble once the police actually arrived.)

The question is only whether the phone has the memory, storage space and speed to do what they want it to do. I know the Precedent can run Skype, and the Prevail 2 is a slightly better phone, so it should meet your needs.

Looking to get the kids a smartphone, but without the phone. Not interested in paying Apple's mark-up for the iTouch, and the Samsung Galaxy Media players are outrageous for new versions (which appear it seems only on eBay) and it seems iffy to buy a refurb for these at the price.

So, I was looking at a no-contract phone route and saw the Prevail 2.

Question is -- does anyone know if I can use the phone as Wi-Fi only, without activating it? Or, if I do have to activate, can I do so for a daily plan, cancel that, and THEN use the devise Wi-Fi only? We want for Google Talk, android Market and games, MP3 playback, and email, all while on Wi-Fi.

Any help.thoughts here are GREATLY appreciated -- thanks!

You're better off going with an iPod Touch...here's why

There are some Android powered entertainment devices that do what you want it to. Everything in a modern smartphone besides calling and texting. However these device lack the performance for higher end games, which renders most of the newest stuff on the play store useless.

You could buy a smartphone with the capabilities that you want it to do, but you run into problems especially such as your kids accidentally using the Emergency call feature and cause a commotion with dispatch.

Back
Top Bottom