• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root problem installing gingerbread on Optimus V. please help

londonstylz

Jan 31, 2011
hey i am trying to install gingerbread on my Optimus V. i am using the fastboot method and after i install sdk and put the stuff from the driver into the folder. iwent to cmd to put in the comands and it says error:device not found. i have the phone plugged into the usb. i have debugging enabled and tried it with usb storage enabled and disabled. please help.

ok i ofund out that for some reason the drivers wont install and allow the phone to be senn by the pc. (i am running win 7 prem). i went into the devices and printers and forund the device and it has an exclamation point next to it. It says the device doesnt need a driver but when i run troubleshooter it says the driver needs to be updated (yeah that makes alot of sence.) Windows looked online for the driver with no luck. went to install new driver i downloaded windows said it couldnt find it i even directed it right to the folder with no luck. can someone please help me.

hey i am trying to install gingerbread on my Optimus V. i am using the fastboot method and after i install sdk and put the stuff from the driver into the folder. iwent to cmd to put in the comands and it says error:device not found. i have the phone plugged into the usb. i have debugging enabled and tried it with usb storage enabled and disabled. please help.

ok i ofund out that for some reason the drivers wont install and allow the phone to be senn by the pc. (i am running win 7 prem). i went into the devices and printers and forund the device and it has an exclamation point next to it. It says the device doesnt need a driver but when i run troubleshooter it says the driver needs to be updated (yeah that makes alot of sence.) Windows looked online for the driver with no luck. went to install new driver i downloaded windows said it couldnt find it i even directed it right to the folder with no luck. can someone please help me.
Maybe you might try something way more simple.
If so try looking here http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-...ide-rooting-without-computer.html#post2985787 It might be helpful to read all the posts as well(except the first 12-just me and my over thinking,worry wart self). It will give you an Idea of what to expect. This is so easy even I rooted my phone using this exploit.

Getting the fastboot drivers to update was such a pain(I finally did,but can't remember how).
The Gingerbreak.apk was easy.

Reactions: londonstylz
Upvote 0
thank you so much. now i just need to find a custom rom
If you want Gingerbread then go here http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-all-things-root/378525-rom-wip-backside-rom-cm7-green-machine-theme.html#post2971206

You probably have xionia recovery, leave it on your sd card. You will need ClockWorkMod v3.2.0.1(not2.3.0) This does a better job wiping data. It can be found here http://download.clockworkmod.com/recoveries/recovery-clockwork-3.2.0.1-thunderc.img

In order to install just use line 1.(su counts as a line),2.,5.,and 6.

Hint: I keep xionia on my sd card as well as ClockWorkMod. I rename one: xrecovery.img,and the other: cwmrecovery.img.
You could rename them whatever you like,just remember to type it out exactly like it is on the sd card when you go to type the commands.
xionia has got an option in the advanced section that will fix a recovery loop(phone boots into the recovery only and or goes from lg logo to recovery to lg logo to recovery.

When in your recovery,just before install of ROM(and gapps if needed),you need to wipe and format all these things:
1. Wipe cache partition
2. Go to advanced/wipe dalvik cache
3. Wipe data/factory reset (now that you are rooted YOU MUST NEVER USE THE FACTORY RESET IN THE PRIVACY SECTION ON THE PHONE)
4. Go to mounts and storage/format boot,system,data,and cache(do not format sd card or you will loose all data on card).

It is always a good idea to wait until you have rebooted the new ROM a couple of times before installing the theme. Sometimes installing them together makes the ROM act a little funky.

When you just want to install an update to an existing ROM,or you want to install a theme,or kernel, then you only need to wipe cache partition and dalvik cache.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones