• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Problem updating Android Kitkat

patictor

Lurker
Aug 31, 2017
Hello;

I have a Galaxy S4 samsung GT - I9505 with Android 4.4.2 (Kitkat). Initially I have rooted the device Now I would like to update my Android because some apps don't work with this old version of Android anymore.

When clicking on Software update I get the message "your device has been modified. Software updates are not available" so I removed the root and did a factory reset, but I still get the same message. Tthen I tried to flash a stockfirmware with Odin 3, but at the end of the process Odin displays FAILED . I tried to install the GT-I9505_1_20161212162218_82z7glgfyj.zip firmware once, but I'm not sure if it's the right one, nor where to find the right firmware.

I'm wondering how to proceed..

patrice

Phone info displays

galaxy S4 samsung GT - I9505

android build number KOT49H. I9505XXUFNC4

version I9505XXUGNK2

RF1D478W82J

modem board MDM9215M

Firmware

CSC version: I9505OXXFNC3
PDA version: I9505XXUFNC4
pda version: baseband version

CSC et firmware code: ORX (slovaquie)

Android 4 2  apre f reset.PNG
Android 4 2  apre f reset.PNG Android 4 2  apre f reset.PNG

Attachments

• phone info 2 oct 20 apres f rest.png
    phone info 2 oct 20 apres f rest.png
    183.2 KB · Views: 225
I'm afraid that your options are flash stock firmware and then see what updates are available (Android 5 should be, provided Samsung haven't given up even hosting that for the S4 by now - I've no idea how long they will keep doing that, but it can't be forever), or else see whether you can find a custom ROM based on a newer version.

I'm afraid I am not a Samsung expert, so can't advise on problems with stock firmware flashes. But I would guess you can find custom ROMs based on more recent versions that the official software - I have an HTC One, released the same year, which is running an Android 7 ROM (while the last official version was also Android 5).

Reactions: MrJavi and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Thanks for answer.

Using Samfirm i have typed ORX for the country (dispayed by Phone info for firmware's CSC code and active CSC code) and I got the file
GT-I9505_1_20161212162218_82z7glgfyj.zip which includes I9505XXUHPK2_I9505OXXHPL1_I9505XXUHPK2_HOME.tar.md5

I tried to download and install it with Odin3 (in order to select it I have clicked on AP on the right side of the Odin 3 screen). Eventually , Odin 3 displayed FAILED. And Phone info does not display any CSS Version and displays Latest firmware: no connection in front of Latest firmware (internet and wifi work). Here the ODIN Log

<ID:0/004> Added!!

<ID:0/004> Removed!!

<ID:0/004> Added!!

<ID:0/004> Removed!!

<ID:0/006> Added!!

<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..

<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..

<OSM> Please wait..

<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..

<OSM> Leave CS..

<ID:0/006> Odin engine v(ID:3.1203)..

<ID:0/006> File analysis..

<ID:0/006> SetupConnection..

<ID:0/006> Initialzation..

<ID:0/006> FAIL! (DeviceInfo)

<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

<ID:0/006> Removed!!

<ID:0/006> Added!!

Upvote 0
check sammobile for stock firmware and how to flash it. make sure you are flashing the correct firmware. it has to be the exact one for your model so be very careful.

even if you find the correct firmware for android 5 (lollipop) you most likely will find the same issues with apps. most devs will not support older android os versions. i think it might be time to look for a newer device maybe a pixel phone that can be rooted if you want to go that route.

Reactions: MrJavi
Upvote 0
A Pixel, or for that matter any other current device, will have an up-to-date version of Android and if new enough should continue to get OS and security updates for a while. Not to mention newer hardware and more storage space.
Also the need for rooting has greatly diminished, between the higher storage capacity of most newer phones and later Android versions allowing more user control of things that in the past required rooting to accomplish.

Reactions: Hadron
Upvote 0
Also you have rooted your S4, but few people talk about the S4 these days. So if you compare with a current Samsung, the Exynos-based versions are usually rootable (though not as simply as a Pixel), but if you are in the States US models are much harder, many of them not rootable at all. Hence for someone who is interested in root and buying a phone today the Pixel is generally a better choice. As long as you are happy with your S4 then there's no need to change, but sooner or later you will reach the point where it's no longer suitable (the problem you have currently with app compatibility is one way that could happen), and at that point you would need to consider whether root is something you want.

And, of course, if you use the stock software rather than a custom ROM (whether that's unmodified stock or rooted stock) a Pixel and a Samsung are quite different beasts. Which you prefer is personal, but that would be another factor to consider.

Reactions: MrJavi
Upvote 0
Since you're not sure about which ROM you tried to flash, it's probably a good thing that Odin failed like that. Flashing the wrong ROM is a good way to brick your device. It's important to only use ROMs that specifically match your model of phone, they are not interchangeable.
Go here and select the appropriate ROM, you need to not only download just the one that matches your model but also matches your county and carrier:
https://www.sammobile.com/samsung/galaxy-s4/firmware/#GT-I9505
The sammobile site is a valid source for Samsung stock ROMs. If you create an account with them, the download will be much faster. Otherwise, for non-members they intentionally limit the download bandwidth from their servers. Sammobile does claim to obtain their ROMs the manufacturers and the carriers. There are of course several other sources for Samsung ROMs, just be very judicious about where they source their ROMs from to avoid downloading a tainted one.
Regarding the Odin utility, you apparently used ver. 3.12.3 which isn't the latest version but that might not matter anyway. You might want to try using the current version, 3.14.4 but I'd suggest you just use an older version, 3.10.x. The Odin utility has backwards compatibility issues and since you're working with older hardware it might work out better using a matching version.

Keep in mind that the latest stock ROM from Samsung for your S4 is Lollipop (5.0.1) so app support will probably still to be an issue. Also, flashing a stock Samsung ROM will install a stock version of Android and a stock Recovery, so if you want to root your device you need to go through the whole rooting process again.
Otherwise, look into third-party options like Lineage OS or /e/ OS. You'll have more current versions of Android to work with and your rooted device will remain rooted.
Lineage
https://download.lineageos.org/jfltexx
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LineageOS
/e/
https://doc.e.foundation/devices/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki//e/_(operating_system)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones