• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Problems after KitKat upgrade?

Afternoon,

I've created a separate thread from the 'when does kitkat arrive' thread, just to keep things cleaner.

I've got an Xperia Z through O2 in the UK, it's a couple of months old now and I had the notification on my phone a couple of days ago about the upgrade (to 4.4.2). It was done over wifi, seemingly succesfully, yet the power is being drained very quickly now. A friend has also had the exact same experience after upgrading in the last few days - so are there any suggestions as to what we should do or can do? Assume general ignorance on my part, so please suggest any obvious solutions as well as more convoluted ones.

Possibly coincidentally, my phone now won't come to life each time I press the power button i.e. when it's in sleep mode (or whatever the proper name for when I haven't used it for a few minutes etc) the screen won't come on, at least every other time now and it seems to be running slower than before...

Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions?

Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions?

1. Backup everything by syncing with your Google account and ideally also using the Backup function within PC Companion, then perform a Factory Data Reset from Settings/Backup & Reset.

2. If the problem persists, try disabling Google's Location Services (Settings/Location Services) as this has been reported as causing excessive battery usage. You'll lose some geolocation functionality but hopefully a fix will be forthcoming soon with an update to Google Play Services.

1. Backup everything by syncing with your Google account and ideally also using the Backup function within PC Companion, then perform a Factory Data Reset from Settings/Backup & Reset.

2. If the problem persists, try disabling Google's Location Services (Settings/Location Services) as this has been reported as causing excessive battery usage. You'll lose some geolocation functionality but hopefully a fix will be forthcoming soon with an update to Google Play Services.

Thanks, will do. Bizarrely (or not, maybe) despite the update re-starting my phone, I've found that [IT Crowd mode]switching it off and on again[/IT Crowd mode] has helped improve battery life considerably, though it still seems to be using more power than normal.

I agree with the previous poster, change the location mode to device only, this really helps battery life.
Also try clearing unecessary apps and files off your phone so it has more resources.
Another good tip is to turn on 'force GPU rendering' in developer options as this seemed to make my xperia Z quite a bit more responsive as well.

I'm on 02 in the UK and my phone works really good on kit kat (upgraded OTA last week when i got the message).

Back
Top Bottom