• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Prospective S3 owner has some questions..

KupKrazy

Android Enthusiast
Jun 26, 2010
The Big Apple
I am about to pull the trigger on pre-ordering a S3.. I have a question - I read that the S3 has a multicolor notification light. Is that true? I'm also wondering about the physical button and how durable that is.

Also, has anyone used a launcher over TouchWiz yet on the S3? I am wondering how smooth it is. I use Go Launcher and I did notice that it is really smooth on the Vivid, but it is a little jerky on m Galaxy Note. Not sure if it's an ICS thing or not.

I currently have an HTC Vivid and a Galaxy Note as my second phone. I want to replace my Vivid and was going to go with the One X but I can't get over the lack of the MicroSD slot. I carry a lot of music with me and while I use Google Music's cloud, this city has a subway system that I use alot and I'm often underground without signal - so I need that space.

So here I am thinking highly about the S3 and maybe I just need that final push. lol

I am about to pull the trigger on pre-ordering a S3.. I have a question - I read that the S3 has a multicolor notification light. Is that true? I'm also wondering about the physical button and how durable that is.

Also, has anyone used a launcher over TouchWiz yet on the S3? I am wondering how smooth it is. I use Go Launcher and I did notice that it is really smooth on the Vivid, but it is a little jerky on m Galaxy Note. Not sure if it's an ICS thing or not.

I currently have an HTC Vivid and a Galaxy Note as my second phone. I want to replace my Vivid and was going to go with the One X but I can't get over the lack of the MicroSD slot. I carry a lot of music with me and while I use Google Music's cloud, this city has a subway system that I use alot and I'm often underground without signal - so I need that space.

So here I am thinking highly about the S3 and maybe I just need that final push. lol

There is a multicolor notification light. It shows at least red when charging and blue for notifications.

I currently run Apex launcher instead of Touchwiz and I thought it is running very smooth. Apex was designed for ICS and I am really happy with it.

Reactions: KupKrazy
Upvote 0
LED, Check - customisable via go sms for sms/mms notifications

The Mrs has go launcher over touchwiz and it's seamless, I have launcher pro over touchwiz and again, seamless. We both are using go sms.

All on international version thru tmobile UK, once running of 780mb ram expect to see anywhere from 400mb-600mb in use, I'd say for fairly light usage.

Upvote 0
Thank you so much for the responses. My previous 2 Samsung phones didn't have notification lights (which I do like) so that makes me happy!

Also, that's great to hear that about the launchers you are all using and that it's been seamless. That was a concern of mine! I do like Go Launcher and also Go SMS as well... I'll take a peek at Apex too.

Just one last thing - are you able to easily set an mp3 as the default ringtone? It might be moot to ask because I think AT&T sometimes blocks that feature even if it is allowable, but I was wondering if I would have a tedious time doing that.

Upvote 0
Personally for me it was pretty easy. Just swap over your sd card and copy or move your mp3's to the phones internal storage (least I think I did that)

For sure you'll most likely want to move your pictures from your sd, copying will double them up in gallery.

Once your sd card is in, reboot, and your music should be on the list along with the phones default tones. Like I said, you 'may' need to copy it via the "my files" app first, can't remember Tbh.

*pushes KupKrazy over the edge "do iiit, Press that order button!"*

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones