• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

PROTIP: Convert c771 dock to c811 dock

CommandoJ

I grew tired of waiting for Verizon to get the docks for the 811 in stock, and I didn't want to pay the ebay rip-off price of $49 + shipping.

Since the screen to my 771 is shattered, and 57 tiny pieces fell out of that phone when I disassembled it, I have no use for the two docks I bought for my 771. I figured I'd perform some rocket surgery and see if I could transmogrify those docks to work with the 811.

A photo is attached, showing the 811 in the 771's dock.

In order for the 811's side contacts to line up with the contacts on the 771's dock, the phone has to rest approximately 1/2 inch away from the left-hand "wing" of the dock. That means that the right-hand "wing" is in the way, and needs to be removed.

You can't just lop off that wing any old place, however - because the power wires are inside it. You have to be careful to cut at the right place. I used a 10" mitre saw, and filed down the plastic "slag" that was left over after the cut. A Dremel tool would have made a much cleaner cut.

After you cut the right wing, you have to put some tape over the small button switch that protrudes to the left of the terminals. If you don't, the switch will actually push the phone out of place (since the phone's not secured) and turn off the dock.

It's tricky to line up the contacts the first few times, since you don't have anything guiding the phone as you put it in the dock. But it seems to work pretty well.

Attachments

• GhettoPhoneDock.png
    GhettoPhoneDock.png
    478 KB · Views: 478
I love it. You must be a real life MacGuyver. I bought my Commando 4G on launch day, 28 June. The store had no docks or extended batteries, so I came home with the phone and ordered the dock and battery from VZW.

How do you keep it in place? Just balancing?

David

Yeah, it is a balancing act, so to speak. I would not do this as a permanent solution, I'm just waiting on the day the right dock becomes available on the vzw website. Several times they've told me that inventory is updated at the first of the month, but I stalk it every day just to make sure I catch it before it's sold out again.

Greetings!

I'm thinking I might build my own dock. I just lack the relevant schematics of what wire goes where. I'm about to get a C811 & maybe if I could just create a device that holds the C811 in place touching the charging contacts I could adapt the charger that came with my C771.

Any thoughts or advice?

Eddie

Does anyone know if they are going to make a car-dock that charges the phone using the cradle contacts instead of the USB port?

You can use any USB charger with the G'Zone. The G'Zone will give you a warning about charging slowly if you try to use a third party adapter. However, I use the power supply that came with my old 771 without this issue.

Having said that... one thing I'd recommend is to glue the little micro-switch I talked about in my instructions. I taped it with duct tape, but I had to hold the 811 in the old cradle with a rubber band.

Back
Top Bottom