• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Q][Devs]Could I just ask...

dragonhart6505

Android Expert
I've seen devices with the exact same CPU (MSM8916) that are able to compile, boot and even add additional features to their kernels including overclock (albeit only unlocked to 1.4, the CPU max supported) custom governors, GPU enhancements and overall better performance and stability but we seem to be locked from using these features and there seems to be no desire to implement them.
Why is that?

Last edited:
The chipset deviates way too much between the different versions of the Leon. T-Mobile and metropcs have the Leon using the msm8916.
Some parts of the kernel would work, but there's no promise it would be universal.
If a kernel were made for msm8916 variants, it would most likely either lead into hardware failure or a simple bootloop when flashed onto the 8930.

So in all truth, it's all up to what model of phone the developer is using (usually mpcs or tmo) and if they're willing to deal with people getting mad over the fact that the kernel won't work on their variants.

The chipset deviates way too much between the different versions of the Leon. T-Mobile and metropcs have the Leon using the msm8916.
Some parts of the kernel would work, but there's no promise it would be universal.
If a kernel were made for msm8916 variants, it would most likely either lead into hardware failure or a simple bootloop when flashed onto the 8930.

So in all truth, it's all up to what model of phone the developer is using (usually mpcs or tmo) and if they're willing to deal with people getting mad over the fact that the kernel won't work on their variants.
ah...i see what your saying, but i actually meant the msm8916. i misjudged the model.
fixed though, thank you

Actually, now that I think about it. On xda someone had developed a kernel base that worked on multiple phones, it was based around the hardware. Last I saw it had been universal between like 5-6 different phones with the msm8116 board two. Problem was that it required certain system frameworks to maintain stability.

There actually was an unlocked kernel being worked on for the Leon in irc that i tested out based on stock. Anybody know whatever happened to that?

Back
Top Bottom