• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Quake 2 on Android

Sheesh, this game brings back memory of my senior year in HS. Dguy, are you sure it's 60? did you run the timedemo? The game is also extremely smooth for me on my Galaxy S Vibrant. I'm probably getting a 70-100 fps if you're getting 60. I used WIFI Keyboard. Yeah, I can't move with the mouse but I can enter a game :) I opened up DM17 with 8 bots and the phone just delivers. Awesome GPU.

The fps counter is in the upper right hand corner and most of the time it is stuck at 59/60. It'll go down to 45 sometimes but that's the lowest I've seen it go.

Upvote 0
Im in the high 60fps on my Droid-X. I hooked up my sons Wii controller via bluetooth and can now control the game with the Wii d-pad and nun-chuck. I used a free app on the marketplace called WiimoteController to complete the handshake between the phone and controller. The only problem is I cant seem to get the "look up" and "look down" functions to work. Anyone have any ideas on this?

Upvote 0
I have galaxy s and it runs perfectly.
having come from a rather long time gaming the controls are very difficult to use. it would be far more intuitive not to show the lines but to have invisizi zones. show the overlay for new players but have the option to hide later.
look should be touch screen contolled on left fore finger. move should be on the acellerometer thing and upper right should be jump crouch small zones in size.
lookspring is totally irritating and should be removed asap.
tilt should be forward back straffe left right no rotate. maybe rotate for weapon cycle but no more.
fire could be a the square menu button.
new d pad is great for menus. at least I can kind a play but moving firing and looking are not available on current controls.
the controls I have described would give near pc control.
keep up the great work and i hope to see more updates soon as i played this game and its predesesors for years a kid and loved them.

Upvote 0
I'm trying to get Quake 2 for the android running on the emulator, and I'm having trouble getting it running. It keeps giving the pak0.pak not found error. I've copied pak0.pak to the quake 2 android bin folder and it doesnt see it. Anyone got a solution?

Another question, anyone know if android NDK can run on mingw on windows as well as cygwin?

Upvote 0
Galaxy S Vibrant: 59-60fps. Once dropped down to 45, when it rendered *hurricane strings* five explosions at once.

However, while I can play the game, the controls make me want to hurt kittens. Silly frustrations. For example, you can't shoot while using view control. If there's something at a different elevation, you're screwed.

Any ports with good multitouch controls?

Upvote 0
Hi

I am using the Samsung Galaxy.
THe game appears great in this device (however, it is a bit dark).
The speed is fine.
The steering without touchpad on the screen in general is acceptable.

Only shooting is very complex without keyboard:
Regarding the VIEW area of the touchscreen, it can be used for precise aiming :
press the VIEW are, moves are stopped, and controle the crosshair with the finger.
Then for shooting, press the center button of the DPAD ( = ENTER usually mapped on +attack)

I would like to get a tap on the cross hair cursor to shoot. (Move by tilting the phone, aim with the crosshair (finger on screen) and shoot by tapping the crosshair).

How can I customize the controls getting the behaviour described above?

thanks

Upvote 0
I've tested this on my xperia x10 mini pro with Android 2.1.
The game runs fine. Though, it takes some time for the sound to kick in, once it does, it plays smoothly. Same thing with the FPS, stating a game with a bit low fps but then it goes just fine.

The main issue for me was using the physical keyboard. I remapped the movement keys to "wasd". As I don't have full arrow keys on my hardware keyboard. The new keys don't respond or do any action. only enter for shooting, and the left/right arrow of the keyboard work. Nothing else does.
The screen is small to use the on screen buttons so I hope this issue could be tackled sometime soon.

Cheers and thanks alot for the game :)

Upvote 0
Hi

I am using the Samsung Galaxy.
THe game appears great in this device (however, it is a bit dark).
The speed is fine.
The steering without touchpad on the screen in general is acceptable.

Only shooting is very complex without keyboard:
Regarding the VIEW area of the touchscreen, it can be used for precise aiming :
press the VIEW are, moves are stopped, and controle the crosshair with the finger.
Then for shooting, press the center button of the DPAD ( = ENTER usually mapped on +attack)

I would like to get a tap on the cross hair cursor to shoot. (Move by tilting the phone, aim with the crosshair (finger on screen) and shoot by tapping the crosshair).

How can I customize the controls getting the behaviour described above?

thanks

Pretty much this, Q2 is totally my favorite game of all time, it was my first fps and get this, took me almost a year of constant play to get through it!! Love this game!!

Ive got 1.4 on my nexus 1 and 1.8 on my nook color,1.4 plays great,1.8 however is unplayable.(it renders beautifully) but the controls are impossible, could we possibly revert to the old conrols?
Are there some config files perhaps that I could swap from 1.4 to 1.8? Would that even work? Oh god I need a Nookie Quake fix. Any ideas gratefully accepted!

Upvote 0
Just wanted to thank you for the excellent port. I just put CM6 on my Droid 1 and dug out my old, scratched-up QII cd and somehow managed to pull the pak files off. Instructions were easy from the website and after a few burps and farts (settings, erasing a comment from the .cfg), it booted right up and I'm getting sweet, fast frame rates. Accelerometer use seems slippery at first, but actually gets more intuitive as you continue. Closing the keyboard on the game crashes it. Nothing too weird beyond that so far!

Anyhow, great port, nice work and can't wait to see what you'll come up with next!

And my friends are going to go green with envy - that always helps! :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones