• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Quest for Flash or SWF

beefers

In my quest for flash compatibility on this phone, back when I had 2.1, I tried that flash for 2.1 guide. Some Intercept users claimed that worked but for me, all it did was install a huge 12mb file and not do anything even after numerous reboots. After upgrading to 2.2, I tried the same thing again. Still didn't work. It's not just flash compatibility that I want but I was also searching for an swf player that was standalone, one that would operate without the flash plugin. I came across many apps that would play swf files with the plugin installed but the only thing that I came across that could play swf files without flash plugin was on this thread: .SWF/Adobe Shockwave Stand-alone flash player for 1.5 - 2.1 CDMA Hero (FINALLY!) - xda-developers
The app parses swf files but plays them veryveryvery slowly.
I've even attempted to go into skyfire and navigate to an swf file on my sd card. no go. It'd be really nice to have flash or even swf compatibility on this phone.
Any luck for anyone else?

:D The question that never dies! :D

This gets brought up so much. I'll try to answer it for you and hopefully it will answer the lurker's who don't understand it either and will eventually make their OWN post about it. ;)

The reason this question won't die is because people are using one word to mean two things, and in one instance they don't exactly know what they're talking about.

Flash, as in the client side scripting language that does interactive stuff and plays sounds and draws graphics and directs user input and makes websites all pretty (and more often than not annoying, gaudy, and bad), that Flash, no. Samsung Intercepts cannot render Flash content easily. They lack the resources; not just processing power, but the entire stack. The beta framerates were dismal. Not just laggy; unusable. Adobe gave up. Others have given up too, like Mozilla/Firefox. The ARMv6 in this configuration is just too weak.

Apparently it's been implemented and revoked multiple times, and I think there's a push to get Flash Lite up and running for weaker ARM Androids, which could enable limited SWF execution, but as of today the answer is no. You can spend weeks hanging over at sdx or xda, but the only hope you have right now is false hope. Even overclocked, this is not a phone capable of serious computing.

Now, "flash" as in video, sure thing, just remember that there is no such thing as Flash video. FLV isn't a format, it's a container, like AVI or MKV. The Intercept plays video just fine, as long as it's in a format it likes, which is why you can encode movies to put on your SD, or stream YouTube, and such.

Skyfire only confuses the issue. It's a VIDEO optimized browser, that's all it claims to be... even sells a FLV accelerator module. It does not, it can not, render Flash content on the Intercept. But people think that because it's a browser it's going to render Flash based websites, and wonder why they can't get that to work.

If you want Flash, you will need to switch devices not software.

Myself, I'm looking at units using nVidia Tegra series... both the Tegra APX line, but mostly I love the new Tegra2's - dual-core ARM9 Cortex processors that have an actual dedicated GeForce GPU on the die! Hardware-accelerated 3D on your phone. 1080p. And on and on. And about $100.

This is why no one cares about fixing Flash Lite to work for our "old" units... they know you'll be scrapping your phone as soon as you can afford to. :cool:

Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom