• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root questins about ota and customization

dcooterfrog

ok I have some questions about rooting, recoveries, kernals etc.
the guides out there are all over the place

I think ideally what I want now is stock vc 'slimmed' and apps to sd. don't change the radio and keep amenra recovery

my ally was stock vc
i rooted it. did i I break OTAupdates.
i removed applications with Titanuim. did this break OTA?
I installed a custom recovery did this break OTA (i think so)

if ota is broken there is no reason not to keep going right. I will need to revert back to stock if I want LG official fro yo in a couple of months.

I have a brand new class 10 16 gb sd. can I "manually create an Apps to sd thought treminal commands.

everything I see says "if you rom supports it" enable it by having an properly partitioned card

if it just a sym link that can be done manually. right? what else is there.

there is a thread with "multi rom aps to sd" but vc is not listed.

i understand that there are 4 major components to a phone
radio
kernal
recovery
and 'rom'

can I use a different kernal with vc (gnm turbo)
is velocity 4 built on vc?
do I care if a rom is deodexed if I wont be theming. if I am not themeing is stock vc better if I add apps to sd and a better kernal

should i do all the way back to stock and start over...

ok I have some questions about rooting, recoveries, kernals etc.
the guides out there are all over the place

I think ideally what I want now is stock vc 'slimmed' and apps to sd. don't change the radio and keep amenra recovery

my ally was stock vc
i rooted it. did i I break OTAupdates.
I installed a custom recovery did this break OTA (i think so)

if ota is broken there is no reason not to keep going right. I will need to revert back to stock if I want LG official fro yo in a couple of months.

I have a brand new class 10 16 gb sd. can I "manually create an Apps to sd thought treminal commands.

everything I see says "if you rom supports it" enable it by having an properly partitioned card

if it just a sym link that can be done manually. right? what else is there.

there is a thread with "multi rom aps to sd" but vc is not listed.

i understand that there are 4 major components to a phone
radio
kernal
recovery
and 'rom'

can I use a different kernal with vc (gnm turbo)
is velocity 4 built on vc?
do I care if a rom is deodexed if I wont be theming. if I am not themeing is stock vc better if I add apps to sd and a better kernal

should i do all the way back to stock and start over...
Wow Thats alot of questions... LOL

To answer your first part... YES. You no longer have the ability to take the OTA updates with the way your phone is currently because of all of the below.

"i rooted it. did i I break OTAupdates.
I installed a custom recovery did this break OTA (i think so)"

Use either amon-ra or clockwork Mod to Partition your SD Card and then you will be able to utilize apps2sd with one of the Roms that have that feature pre packaged.

http://androidforums.com/ally-all-things-root/191916-a2sd-multi-roms-ally.html

http://androidforums.com/ally-all-things-root/197118-apps2sd-partition-size-question.html

REMEBER BFORE YOU EVER MAKE A PARTITION!!! BACK UP THE SD CARD ON YOUR COMPUTER.

YOU WILL LOSE EVERYTHING FROM THE SD CARD IN ORDER TO MAKE THE PARTITION!!!!!

Im just saying.

Wow Thats alot of questions... LOL

To answer your first part... YES. You no longer have the ability to take the OTA updates with the way your phone is currently because of all of the below.

"i rooted it. did i I break OTAupdates.
I installed a custom recovery did this break OTA (i think so)"

Use either amon-ra or clockwork Mod to Partition your SD Card and then you will be able to utilize apps2sd with one of the Roms that have that feature pre packaged.

http://androidforums.com/ally-all-things-root/191916-a2sd-multi-roms-ally.html

http://androidforums.com/ally-all-things-root/197118-apps2sd-partition-size-question.html

REMEBER BFORE YOU EVER MAKE A PARTITION!!! BACK UP THE SD CARD ON YOUR COMPUTER.

YOU WILL LOSE EVERYTHING FROM THE SD CARD IN ORDER TO MAKE THE PARTITION!!!!!

Im just saying.

thanks.
yes it's a lot of questions I have been reading and lurking and asking small questions for a week or 2 but this is complex. (lots of interrelated parts)

ok so I broke OTA.
in the aps 2 sd multy rom thread I see that the vzb boot imae supports vzc as well. but why do I need to do it that way. I would rather 'roll my own' if its just sym links etc. Im no dev but I know my way around a PC.

A2SD - android-roms - How To: Apps 2 SD - Project Hosting on Google Code
makes it look very easy. if that's the case why do I need to change my boot image etc.

I am going to start with a brand new card. so no need to back up. then I will just use my PC to copy the old card date to the new fat partition. but thanks for the warning.

Back