• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Question about 4G

Not sure if anyone will be able to answer this.. I currently have a GNex, but have been experiencing terrible 4G reception inside buildings. As an example - at work my 4G connection is constantly dropping to 3G, I don't think it stays stable for more than 5 minutes at a time.

My question is will the GS3 have a different 4G chip? Is it probable to expect the 4G issues plaguing the GNex to be resolved with the GS3?

I don't know how much of this is VZ service related. I can put a VZ mifi card next to my GNex at work, and the thing flies without issues.

Not sure if anyone will be able to answer this.. I currently have a GNex, but have been experiencing terrible 4G reception inside buildings. As an example - at work my 4G connection is constantly dropping to 3G, I don't think it stays stable for more than 5 minutes at a time.

My question is will the GS3 have a different 4G chip? Is it probable to expect the 4G issues plaguing the GNex to be resolved with the GS3?

I don't know how much of this is VZ service related. I can put a VZ mifi card next to my GNex at work, and the thing flies without issues.

We don't know yet. I think it will be different considering the innards...Qualcomm S4 with integrated LTE.

Curious, do you have colleagues at work around you who have a different phone and no 4G issues?

We don't know yet. I think it will be different considering the innards...Qualcomm S4 with integrated LTE.

Curious, do you have colleagues at work around you who have a different phone and no 4G issues?

Yeah.. They have the same issue. I have tried replacement phones as well. The weird thing is it used to work fine about 2 months ago. 2 solid bars 4G without dropping down to 3G.

Then one fine day it just stopped working. This is Jersey City, right across the Hudson from NYC.. So 4G coverage has been around for a while here.

Yeah.. They have the same issue. I have tried replacement phones as well. The weird thing is it used to work fine about 2 months ago. 2 solid bars 4G without dropping down to 3G.

Then one fine day it just stopped working. This is Jersey City, right across the Hudson from NYC.. So 4G coverage has been around for a while here.

That would lead me to believe then that it is a network issue. They have different phones right? Not all have a GN

That would lead me to believe then that it is a network issue. They have different phones right? Not all have a GN

No, he has a GN too. I agree to some extent it is a network issue. But I also have a MiFi hotspot from VZ that works fine. So I think it's a combination of network issue and the bad GNex radio.

Ahh ok. Well I'm sure you're well aware of GN signal issues. They abound for some. I'm hoping for many that the newer S4 SoC makes the GN/Sammy radio issues a moot point. We'll see soon!

I have not had all the signal issues in my area with the GN, I've been very fortunate. At the least you'll have your 14 days to figure out if it's an issue for you or not.

The S4 has a 2nd gen cellular baseband so I believe we'll see different radio reception results than the GN. Anandtech has a great review, albeit old, on it's performance with the Adreno 225 wow!

Back
Top Bottom