• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root question about accepting ota to unroot

crimton

Android Expert
ok so i rooted my wifes phone using the old sd card in and out method a long time ago. i now realize i did that more for me because she still doesn't know or care what rooting is and she has only used the wifitether a few times. so my question is will i have to unroot her to accept the ota update for froyo can i just accept the update and let it patch root? i'd rather just accept it without unrooting if possible that way it should save all her settings.

I appreciate Dizko's answer, but I'd like to hear a "will" instead of "should" install over a rooted 2.1 OS. However, I would like to stay rooted so I can keep Wireless Tether. What's the best way to do this?

No one can know for sure until the updates start rolling out. If you are concerned, decline the update until other people have tried it. Not sure why everyone is so bent on taking the OTA if they want to be rooted. Just install the ROM that's already out there that is said to be the OTA. By the end of the week, I'm sure there will be several ROMS to choose from based on this.

ok so i rooted my wifes phone using the old sd card in and out method a long time ago. i now realize i did that more for me because she still doesn't know or care what rooting is and she has only used the wifitether a few times. so my question is will i have to unroot her to accept the ota update for froyo can i just accept the update and let it patch root? i'd rather just accept it without unrooting if possible that way it should save all her settings.

Honestly, I dont know the process of WHAT you would need to do from your situation, but I would guess that you can flash the RUU of Stock Incredible ROM 2.1 and root would be gone. You could just do the Unrevoked Forever thing after this and get S-OFF in case she wants a theme or something after the OTA update

in order to recieve the OTA you need to have stock recovery, and if you want to keep root, use unrevoeked forever before installing the OTA

ok so i guess i need to unroot and go back to bone stock so i can accept the update since i DO NOT want to be rooted anymore on this particular phone even after the ota.

Back
Top Bottom