• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

question about coverage boost/sprint

akmsr

Android Enthusiast
Sep 28, 2012
forest hill, fl
hi all,
i have a puzzling question. i visited a rural area for a prospective temporary job offer and searched both boostmobiles and sprints coverage maps. here is what i found:
voice = no coverage in both maps
3G data = no coverage in both maps
4GLTE = full on boost map and fair on sprint map

how is this possible. will a 4GLTE phone work in a location like that making calls, sending text etc? i am assuming it will work for internet.

i have a retired galaxy prevail which is 3G only. is there any hope for it? my current nexus with metro/t-mobile has zero signal there even though on their coverage map it is shown to have 2G coverage :rolleyes:

Assuming the map is correct a 4G LTE phone would get data, a 3G phone would not get anything. Calls don't use 4G LTE so I doubt you'd be able to call/text unless there's a voice signal.

Was the area slightly outside of voice coverage? If yes, I would guess the 4G LTE coverage from the nearest cell tower just extends a little farther then voice reception.

Reactions: akmsr
Upvote 0
Assuming the map is correct a 4G LTE phone would get data, a 3G phone would not get anything. Calls don't use 4G LTE so I doubt you'd be able to call/text unless there's a voice signal.

Was the area slightly outside of voice coverage? If yes, I would guess the 4G LTE coverage from the nearest cell tower just extends a little farther then voice reception.
here is three screenshot from coverage map
first is 4glte, 2nd 3g, last voice
i had a friend with boost 3g phone with me and she had tiny signal there and was able to send and receive text. i totally forgot to check whether she could make calls or not. :mad:

Attachments

• boost 46lte.jpg
    boost 46lte.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 94
  • boost3g.jpg
    boost3g.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 90
  • boostvoice.jpg
    boostvoice.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 81
Upvote 0
i had a friend with boost 3g phone with me and she had tiny signal there and was able to send and receive text. i totally forgot to check whether she could make calls or not. :mad:

Calls and text use the same signal so I would guess voice could be possible but spotty. Dropped calls are likely if they barely had a signal. Also some phones have better antennas then others so a different phone might get no signal at all there.

Will your Galaxy Prevail work there? Unfortunately the only way to know in this situation is to test it at that location since it's in a fringe coverage area.

Reactions: akmsr
Upvote 0
she had the galaxy rush. so i am guessing i may have the same level of connection on my prevail. spotty or no voice :( as you said only way to find out is to use it there.
i noticed that at&t has better connection and possibly 4G there. but i do not want to get back to that company ever again. maybe an att compatible sim on straight talk? gotta figure this out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones