• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Question about custom roms and apps

dolfinluvr

I was wondering if i install a custom rom but don't like one of the apps that came with it can i just delete that app and use one i like...for an example...i'm currently using ctmod but i don't really like the camera that came with it so if i wanted to download a different camera app could i delete the one that came with the rom...or like if i'm using a rom that has a bunch of bloatware on it could i delete those apps so that i have more internal memory...

I was wondering if i install a custom rom but don't like one of the apps that came with it can i just delete that app and use one i like...for an example...i'm currently using ctmod but i don't really like the camera that came with it so if i wanted to download a different camera app could i delete the one that came with the rom...or like if i'm using a rom that has a bunch of bloatware on it could i delete those apps so that i have more internal memory...

You can do that. I would recomend using Titanium Backup. You can get it in the market.

to answer your question, yes, at least for ctmod. The directions for reinstalling removed apps is in the first post. Directions for deleting apps is posted as well. But be careful on what you delete, so it doesn't bork your phone. For example, you wouldn't want to delete the launcher, unless you have another installed, and have tested it to make sure it is working.

Thanks...i use es explorar which gives me access to the .apk can't i just delete that file and call it good ins't that what titanium pro does? I wouldn't delete the launcher...i just really don't like the miui camera and music player and that seems to be what's on quite a few roms so i wanted to see if i could delete those and replace them with other music players and cameras

If i were you, i will backup phone, and root. Then i uninstall all the unwanted apps.

The problem with just root and uninstalling the apps is when you do you also get rid of some required system files and thus break your OS normal functions. Installing a ROM at least all of them on the prevail gets rid of the bloat while still keeping the required files for the phone to operate normally.

If your running a specific ROM like you already stated(CTMod) the best place to ask what you can remove safely is in the specific ROM thread.

No matter what you are running..Stock or Custom ROM..the most important thing is a backup..before i would full around with uninstalling anything..its cool to uninstall stuff from stock..be watchfull of what you uninstall..but even if you do make a mistake you got a backup..you can use what you want as far as browsers and launchers etc..backup with Titanium Backup and convert choosen app to system or user..should be good

Back
Top Bottom