• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Question about launchers

DoAndroidDream?

Jun 23, 2010
Massachusetts
I have a couple question that I have not seen answered. I imagine that is because the answer is somewhere else on this forum.

What is a launcher? Do I install this after root but before a custom rom, or do I install a launcher after the custom rom? Or does it matter when you install it at all?

Also, what else do I need to do besides follow the instructions for rooting and installing a rom?

Thanks

Launchers are just replacement homescreens. They can add various features over the stock launcher, like more screens, changing icon grid and row numbers and spacing, adding fancy transition effects, etc. Plus they are customizable, so you can add your own icons, themes and other useful features.

You do not need to root, nor do anything special to install various launchers. Just download one from the market. On the B&N Nook Color, you don't have market access unless you root first, so in this case, you will need to root. The latest Autonooter comes with LauncherPro, I believe. On any normal phone, however, you'll be able to go to the market and just download and run one.

Some launchers:
LauncherPro
Adw EX
Go Launcher EX
Zeam

To switch between launchers, another app is available called home switcher, that allows you to switch between.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones