• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Question about rooted boost mobile zte n9100 before resetting to factory

I have had my phone since Aug 2013 and I really love this phone. I finally rooted it just about two months ago and I have been doing a lot of reading on these site about the phone in general. I haven't been brave enough yet to try a ROM as I've only seen a couple listed for this device and I'm not exactly sure yet if they will work and this is my only phone. I've done a backup with Titanium Backup, I also have the paid version of RAMEXPANDER. I am wanting to set it back to factory as it has gotten a bit slow. My question is before I set it back to factory, should I - 1) turn off the swap file for RAMEXPANDER? and 2) should I unroot? I am also interested in which ROM will work for this device. I am not into the visual enhancements as much as I am into running many tasks at one time. I appreciate any help you may be able to give me. Amanda

Personally what I would do is turn off RAMEXPANDER, get CWM, install sawbone's JB ROM and wipe data/factory reset within CWM. For this process, unrooting is not needed.

I appreciate it. I am a bit of a noob with doing anything to my android, so I'll have to wait until I return from a trip to try this but I'll check back in a couple of days. Thanks to you all for your help.

I finally made it back. I have a question about which version of sawbones jb rom to use. I downloaded a couple of them a while back. These are the files I have: ZTE_FORCE_JB_SAWBONES.zip - 276,519kb OR FORCE4G_JB_4.2.1_SAWBONES-MOD.zip - 294,641kb? Thank you for your help.

I turned off RAMEXPANDER, I got CWM but not sure if I install it or put it on the sd drive or what. I understand that I don't have to worry about unrooting. I've got sawbones jb rom and I am ready to proceed just need to know how to install CWM please and thank you.

Okay to install CWM follow the instructions on the thread.
Copy recovery.img to the root of you sdcard, essentially just copy it to your phone without putting it in a folder.
Then download a terminal emulator from the play store and open it.
Follow the directions
terminal emulator:

open terminal
type: su
hit enter
allow root to terminal
type: dd if=/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery
hit enter
when prompt returns type: reboot recovery
hit enter

You have now installed CWM.

Now to install the JB ROM.
Reboot your phone and copy ZTE_FORCE_JB_SAWBONES.zip to your phone. Reboot into recovery by shutting the phone off. Once it's off, hold down the Volume Down button plus the power button until your phone boots into CWM.
Use the volume buttons to highlight 'install zip', and press the power button to select it. Now 'choose zip from sdcard'
Then find the zip file you copied to your phone and install it.
From there you should wipe data and reboot.

It should work without a hitch. BUT, (although not likely) if something does go bad, I am not responsible for anything that happens to your phone, neither are the developers here at AndroidForums.

I really appreciate your help. I am going to get a good night sleep & get on it first thing in the morning. I have one more question: I've backed everything up with Titanium Backup Pro so couldn't I copy that folder to my computer & wipe my sd card clean before I put CWM on it? I only have a 32G sd card and it seems like it is already almost half full. When I explore the files on it they are like gibberish and some of them are pretty big. I recognize apks and songs, texts, & videos but most of it looks like files without extensions that are taking up alot of space. I already saved my sms, videos, contacts, & music so since I backed up everything else up in Titanium (user app & data) couldn't I restore anything I may need from there? Or should I leave it alone until I'm done with sawbones rom? Thank you very much and good night.

Personally what I would do is turn off RAMEXPANDER, get CWM, install sawbone's JB ROM and wipe data/factory reset within CWM. For this process, unrooting is not needed.

So I am piggybacking on Op's post. Where can I download the Sawbones ROM? I am on Ringplus as my carreir if it matters.

or just download it right here
THanks! I am looking into this post.

In fact there's a better chance Rom Manager will just break the phone.

I also recommend installing the Schwartz kernel on top of the Sawbones ROM, but I'm somewhat partial to that.

So Noob question: What is the difference between the rom and the Kernel? What does it do? just trying to understand this better... Current downloading the sawbones rom now .

I can't help you with that one. I ended up chickening out after all the posts above. Turned out Boost Mobile gave me $100 off a new phone so I went with the Galaxy S4 & gave my brother the Boost Force. I did enjoy that phone though but the more experience I got with apps and what not the less it could keep up with me. The S4 is quad core and has 2G RAM. Anyway, I wish you the best. Someone will let you know, just keep checking back and if they haven't responded after a couple of days message one personally.

I have had my phone since Aug 2013 and I really love this phone. I finally rooted it just about two months ago and I have been doing a lot of reading on these site about the phone in general. I haven't been brave enough yet to try a ROM as I've only seen a couple listed for this device and I'm not exactly sure yet if they will work and this is my only phone. I've done a backup with Titanium Backup, I also have the paid version of RAMEXPANDER. I am wanting to set it back to factory as it has gotten a bit slow. My question is before I set it back to factory, should I - 1) turn off the swap file for RAMEXPANDER? and 2) should I unroot? I am also interested in which ROM will work for this device. I am not into the visual enhancements as much as I am into running many tasks at one time. I appreciate any help you may be able to give me. Amanda
If you want to factory reset while rooted,Do it in recovery mode.I verified it worked quite a while back.But you have to go way back in the ZTE Force 4g LTE rooted forums.

THanks! I am looking into this post.

So Noob question: What is the difference between the rom and the Kernel? What does it do? just trying to understand this better... Current downloading the sawbones rom now .

The kernel is a small piece of the ROM. It does all the talking between the software and the hardware.

TheFatDemon I finally got around to trying this. I switched my phone to the Galaxy S4 a while back so I didn't think I'd ever get to try this. Well within the last few months, I actually let my mom use this old boost force over wifi to access stuff like facebook and youtube. She has picked it up so quick that she has gotten too fast for its 1 GB of RAM to keep up with. I appreciate your detailed instructions and so far it worked except I didn't have any success with the swartz kernel. I just used ZTE_FORCE_JB_SAWBONES.zip. I followed your instructions perfectly and although it did work, now I can't connect to wifi. My actual home network which shows excellent signal actually says "avoided poor internet connection". I can't figure it out. Any help is greatly appreciated. Good night. Amanda

Back
Top Bottom