• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Question about the Google GSM Nexus and custom roms

gale65

Android Enthusiast
Is the google gsm version of this phone like having a rooted phone? Do people put a custom rom on them? Or is that all just for phones that come from, or are made exclusively for, the carriers?

Is the google gsm version of this phone like having a rooted phone? Do people put a custom rom on them? Or is that all just for phones that come from, or are made exclusively for, the carriers?

I guess I am not sure of what you mean by "rooted phone"? The phone is not rooted, in the technical sense of the word, though Google has made it very easy to root the phone; there is even a program that makes this phone very easy to unlock and add custom ROMs. At the same time, the Nexus ships with a vanilla version of Android with none of the bloatware or modifications that the carriers make to Android, which is all some people want of a rooted phone.

Unlocked, when it comes to this phone, merely means it is not tied to any particular carrier but instead can be put on most any GSM carrier worldwide.

There are people who do root the phone, largely so they can used customized skins, optimized radios, overclock the processor, etc. Most of the rooters for this phone are on the International All things Root sub-forum, as the unlocked US Nexus and the International Nexus are identical, other than the US version including Google Wallet.

thank you. I want to be able to tweak it to conserve battery, mostly. I'm usually pretty content without having to have custom skins or radios or other apps like that.

Back
Top Bottom