• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Question About the Stock AC Charger

Bruce_205

With my original Verizon G4 (VS986), the white usb cable that plugs into the charger wall plug was also able to handle data, if I plugged it into my computer, so I could move files. Recently I had to change from Verizon to AT&T and I purchased a new AT&T G4 (the H810 model) on ebay. It was shipped with a usb cable & charger wall plug as well. The wall plug, that LG calls "travel adapter", is identical. The cable is not. It is white but the cover over the miniplug connector is different. And the first thing I noticed is that it does not handle data. Secondly, when I plug this phone into an outlet using the supplied cord/travel adapter the phone says "charging (usb)" and takes a very long time. If I plug in using my original cable, the battery app says "charging (AC)" and is very fast.

So, is this a difference between Verizon and AT&T in how they sold their unit, or is it the cable - maybe the seller put in the wrong one? Is there a setting on the phone that can change how this cable is recognized, seeing it as AC when plugged in & usb data when connected to the computer? The seller claimed the phone was new - surplus. The cable was wrapped in what looked like a factory wrapping and had an LG label around it. So I don't know if this is how AT&T sold it. Is there a visual way to identify which usb cable can handle data?

It sounds like that Verizon USB cable is for data/power and the AT&T USB cable is a power-only. Inside any USB cable there are (at least) four wires -- two are always for power transfer, two always for data transfer (this applies to USB 2.0 and earlier, USB 3.x requires more wires to suit the increase in functions and capacity). When the two data wires are internally shunted, your phone auto-senses it's a power-only cable. Adding some more variables into the mix, your computer or laptop with USB 2.0 ports can only supply up to 500 mA (USB 3.x ports significantly more but your G4 has a USB 2.0 port); and plus the rated capacity of your older Verizon power adapter or newer AT&T power adapter may or may not be the same. 1 amp adapters used to be the most common but now 2 amp or more adapters are more prevalent. If you look on the side of each adapter there will be some kind of label stating the voltage and amperage rating (5 volt being the USB 2.x default and then whatever amperage).
Also note your G4's battery is rated at 3000 mAh (1 amp = 1000 mA) so you have a 3 amp/hour battery. Using a laptop/computer that can only supply 500 milliamps (1/2 an amp) takes longer to charge your phone's 3 amp battery than using one of your adapters that provide 1, or 2, or more amps.
http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_g4-6901.php

Ok, so I understand how the usb is going to charge slower. I wonder if all the G4 charge cables are supposed to be the same, or did AT&T really supply theirs with a charge-only.

This is pure speculation but it doesn't seem like a company as big as AT&T would be intentionally shipping out power-only USB cables, perhaps this is just some kind of error on their part. If you contact the place where you bought the phone and explain the situation maybe they'll exchange it with a new one. For items like USB cables and power adapters all the carriers and phone manufacturers rely on a mix of different third-party vendors that they buy from. The odds of Verizon and AT&T using the same vendor to supply the USB cables that get tossed into each box they ship out to their customers are pretty low.

But for all that hassle, you can go out and pick up a good USB data/power cable for around $10. There are issues where after-market sellers sell cheap, surplus USB cables tagged as data/power cables but are in reality maybe data/power or maybe just power but in any case stay away from any of the those bargain bin specials. You might actually run across a real gem at a deep discount rate but the odds are you're just buying a minimal quality cable made with smaller gauge wires and cheap insulation. Whatever you save up front you pay for later in miscellaneous problems -- random file transfers with errors, odd device connectivity issues, etc.

If you're really fixated on verifying every cable you own, pick up a cable tester:
https://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-VDV-Cable-Tester-TC-NT3/dp/B00PDSL3FK

Ok. I contacted the seller and he shipped me out another one. This one does work: It handles data, and when plugged into AC power for charging the phone says "Charging (AC)". Its just not the exact same one as my original; its a little shorter and sort of grayish not white. So I think this is the best I can do. I think I'm going to sell the Verizon phone with this new data cable and keep my original one to use with my new G4.

I think I have a problem with my original cable. Somehow when I plug the original one into the phone it won't stay charging. Any slight movement of the cable end connector makes it go off charging. I've compared both the new cable and my original one and it seems like the original one charges much faster than the new one when it does stay charging (when using both on AC). The new cable fits tight in the phone and slight movement does not cause it to go off charge, so I am fairly certain the problem is the cable end connector and not inside the phone. But this new one charges a lot slower.

How can I get another original one? I've looked on LG's site and they do not show it. I've googled "LG G4 charger cable" and I'm getting many but they don't look the same and are not LG brand. In fact, the new one they sent me looks kind of like the Samsung one though it does not say Samsung. Or should I buy a generic one? And what do I look for to get one that will charge fast like my original one?

Here's some good reading on picking up a good USB cable:
http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-micro-usb-cable/
But whatever you opt to get, don't skimp. Way too many people just pick up some bargain special thinking it's just some wire and a couple of connectors, but those cheap knock-offs typically are made with low quality control , thin gauge wire, and below grade insulation. A good USB cable can result in a significant difference in both data and power transfer.

Now here's the really weird thing. I tested both of my cables with both of the travel adaptors (the block with the plug). When I wrote earlier that the new cable was charging much slower, that was with both cables using the original adaptor. Although the 2 cables look slightly different, both adaptors are identical except that in the tiny print on the back they have different serial numbers and it says different manufacturers. Both are listed as 5v 1.8amp. With the new cable & new adaptor, the charge time is the same as the old cable & old adaptor! I didn't think that adaptor thing would make any difference!

Back
Top Bottom