• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Question for Linux nerds.

Compile Lynx the textmode web browser from source code, and then view Phandroid with it.

Lynx2-8-7
....who needs a fancy GUI?

Rock on!
I've never compiled anything. I'm a n00b. But lynx is fun ;)
I also like moc for music, and of course installing and removing stuff via the CLI. Actually come to think of it, I've done a fair bit of media type conversions as well, but that sort of stuff actually IS easier on the command line with Linux.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Compile Lynx the textmode web browser from source code, and then view Phandroid with it.
Lynx2-8-7
....who needs a fancy GUI?

I am very fond of Lynx. I grew up on it with 386 pcs (thats how old I am).*
When I started my career administering Solaris and SGI servers, all the sysadmins used lynx and now w3m to goof off. Everyone would have about 6-7 terminals doing various things to make it look like they're busy: running top, tailing some log file, compiling some file but they would have lynx/w3m hidden behind all the clutter.*w3m is way better than lynx.

Usually, I'd find people surfing craigslist for new jobs. So my word of warning: Be observant of your sysadmin. He may look busy but he may be surfing, downloading torrents in the background. The smarter ones would be logged into other remote consoles - ssh in one box to another, then ssh out of the 2nd box to a third machine to do their slacking. So when you run a bash history, you'd think he/she was doing remote admin work on another machine. Now, the only way to catch a slacker is keylogger or sniffing the network with wireshark/ethereal. With the increase in smartphone use, people will slack off on their own equipment which is fine with me.

My job requires me to be in the console all day so there isn't anything extraordinary to report. The only cool thing I've witness in my career is was one I was younger, you could do stuff like pop-out motherboards, remove hardware modules, and install ram on live Silicon Graphics machines*without rebooting. We had crazy uptimes like 7-8 years without reboots.
I think you can do that on some IBM AIX servers now.

Upvote 0
That is quite a nerdy command line ritual. However the author forgot two words one normally sees in Linux instructions and "how to"s...Good luck!

Oh yea I forgot to mention I'm a newb to Lenux.:( The first link I looked at I'm like WTF do I do with that.:eek: The second link for the drivers sent me to a serch engine.:( I don't suppose someone could elbaborate on how to do this. Notice my signature fellas. Just sayin.

Edit: I just noticed my signature hasn't been showing in the last few posts.:thinking:

Upvote 0
First off, here is the driver that seems to work for everyone with that printer.
http://downloads.lexmark.com/downloads/cpd/lexmark-08z-series-driver-1.0-1.i386.rpm.sh.tar.gz

I completely agree with bluenova. The easiest way to add libstdc++5 would be through the package manager. Once you have that added, go to the Printer configuration tool and select new printer. It should see your printer. Now you can select "add driver." Navigate to where the driver is that you downloaded and select it. The rest should pretty much take care of itself. I am not 100% sure this will work but hopefully it will.

Reactions: Bob Cat
Upvote 0
I'm not sure if that can be done or not. The power options are built into the
kernel (see example below.) First you would probably need to make support for the
suspend-hybrid power option. This is done with either a tuxonice patched kernel or uswsusp.
Then "/sys/power/state # suspend-hybrid" would need to be patched with the options that
you want for the desktop while suspended.

It would take a little bit for me to figure all of this out. But even if I did I'm not
sure it would work. When the computer is suspended, the power is dropped so low, I'm not
positive it would allow for the terminal to run.

This is what shows for the kernel power options in Ubuntu.
Note 0 means supported and 1 means unsupported.

user@linux:_> cat /sys/power/state
standby mem disk

root@linux:~> echo -n mem > /sys/power/state # suspend to ram
root@linux:~> echo -n disk > /sys/power/state # suspend to disk
root@linux:~> echo -n disk > /sys/power/state # suspend-hybrid

I really hope there is an easier way than this. Maybe just lock the actual desktop? Lol
I need a little more info on what you're doing this for. Like if you need the power to drop,
or if you just need the desktop locked, and still be able to input commands.

Upvote 0
I would not consider vi or compiling from source nerdish. I consider that taking full advnatage of Linux (i.e. using different tools for what they do best). I regularly do "sudo nano (or vi) <system conf file>" to play with my system.

The most nerdy thing I have done is "sudo apt-get moo". Not only that, I laughed out loud for a good five minutes.

Also, see
Alt+F2 then:
free the fish

or

gegls from outer space

That, in my book, is nerdy. :p

-Nkk

Upvote 0
Just curious, does anyone know how to "suspend" the desktop in order to go to command line only, then bring it back as I left it?
Do you LITERALLY mean "suspend"? Or do you simply want to switch to CLI and then come back to your GUI as it was?

If it's the latter:
Code:
[ctrl][alt][fX] (where X is 1-6)
to go to a login prompt.

To go back to your GUI, just as you left it:
Code:
[ctrl][alt][f7]
should do the trick.

Reactions: baillou2
Upvote 0
Do you LITERALLY mean "suspend"? Or do you simply want to switch to CLI and then come back to your GUI as it was?

If it's the latter:
Code:
[ctrl][alt][fX] (where X is 1-6)
to go to a login prompt.

To go back to your GUI, just as you left it:
Code:
[ctrl][alt][f7]
should do the trick.

That did the trick. Thank you so much. I've been using "ctrl alt F1", but then thinking I had to restart gdm ( ./etc/init.d/gdm restart). I didn't even know about F7. So can I just use any of the Function keys 1-6? Or does each one do something slightly different?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones