• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Question for the smarties :)

jeffzz421

So I'm trying to install a fancy transparent version of the google quick search widget we all love. After renaming the original system app googlequicksearchbox.apk to .apk.bak and then moving the new fancy one over I cannot get the option to add the new one as a widget to my homescreen. Here are my questions.

Will deleting the googlequicksearchbox file in the davlik cache help this problem?
And is doing that at all dangerous if it still doesnt work and i want to just keep on using the old one since that still works after renaming it and naming it back.
Will titanium backup be a better way to just uninstall the stock search widget thingy? And can that reliably back up a system app for a process like this in case it doesnt work? I have no problem re naming the cache files but im kinda lazy one and although I know renaming the system app files is usually ok im not so sure about those cache ones...

Whattya guys think?

Trying to do the same thing with swype and i want to know if that one guy used TiB to uinstall swype (think he did and now i cant remember).

Thanks

So I'm trying to install a fancy transparent version of the google quick search widget we all love. After renaming the original system app googlequicksearchbox.apk to .apk.bak and then moving the new fancy one over I cannot get the option to add the new one as a widget to my homescreen. Here are my questions.

Will deleting the googlequicksearchbox file in the davlik cache help this problem?
And is doing that at all dangerous if it still doesnt work and i want to just keep on using the old one since that still works after renaming it and naming it back.
Will titanium backup be a better way to just uninstall the stock search widget thingy? And can that reliably back up a system app for a process like this in case it doesnt work? I have no problem re naming the cache files but im kinda lazy one and although I know renaming the system app files is usually ok im not so sure about those cache ones...

Whattya guys think?

Trying to do the same thing with swype and i want to know if that one guy used TiB to uinstall swype (think he did and now i cant remember).

Thanks

im not too sure on this, i think the apps when being repackaged have to also be resigned. thats my guess, but maybe if you could inject and extract to and from the APK like a regular ZIP it would work ;D!

im not the best to ask about this right now but it might be something to try

Back