• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Question for those who swap rom's allot

Well im finally diving into the rom swap thing, checking out how they differ from each other.
I am currently using skyraider 3.5 and I like it, But my curiosity is killing me, Im wanting to flash other roms thinking, "maybe I'll like this one better"
it took a few hours to get skyraider setup the way I wanted it, now that i have it setup can I use the "back up current rom" in rom manager to save this skyraider setup, save the rom backup as skyraider, then go flash something else and if I dont like what I flashed, can I restore the skyraider rom backup I made and everything will be the way I have it now? or do I need to do a backup in titanium pro to achieve this?
Its not that its a huge deal to go through and set everything up again, Im just looking to save some time, sometimes I only have a 1/2 hour to kill.
My goal is to hopefully have my fav roms backed up so I can just flash from one to another without going through the phone each time setting up, ringtones, wallpapers,accounts/sync etc

Thanks
Ken

yes backing up your current rom will save it EXACTLY as it is, but you do NOT want to change the name of the backup, it is known to cause issues sometimes. Just create a text file somewhere that describes the backup name.
This is a good description of the difference between titanium and nandroid and when to use them:
http://androidforums.com/incredible-all-things-root/233251-how-titanium-backup-tips.html

Thanks for that link, from I have read there, they recommend using both.
how do you know what backup is what, if you dont rename the file it is only saved by the date of the backup? do you right down what date is what rom?
thanks
Ken

Thanks for that link, from I have read there, they recommend using both.
how do you know what backup is what, if you dont rename the file it is only saved by the date of the backup? do you right down what date is what rom?
thanks
Ken

yeah, just write down the dates and what rom/changes it corresponds to, you can save it as a text file on your phone for reference.
It is definitely recommended to use both as needed. But when you do a nandroid restore, it puts your phone back to the exact way it was when you created it(apps and all). You would use titanium to then add apps to the "restore point" that you might have started using since the moment you created the "restore point"

I just add the ROM name followed by a period to the beginning of the file name and it works fine, such as virtuous.2010-11-20-23.51.52 or skyraider.2010-12-11.17.32.24

I tried to get more creative before and had ROM Manager tell me the file name was invalid when I tried to restore it, although Clockwork would still restore them if I went in through the boot menu. I could be totally wrong, but it seems like any time I used a space in the file name it wouldn't restore, even if I renamed it correctly afterward.

I just add the ROM name followed by a period to the beginning of the file name and it works fine, such as virtuous.2010-11-20-23.51.52 or skyraider.2010-12-11.17.32.24

I tried to get more creative before and had ROM Manager tell me the file name was invalid when I tried to restore it, although Clockwork would still restore them if I went in through the boot menu. I could be totally wrong, but it seems like any time I used a space in the file name it wouldn't restore, even if I renamed it correctly afterward.

I remember reading somewhere that you cannot have spaces in the file name in order to restore using ROM Manager. I rename all of my backups, just no spaces, and I've never had a problem.

I remember reading somewhere that you cannot have spaces in the file name in order to restore using ROM Manager. I rename all of my backups, just no spaces, and I've never had a problem.

Not everyone has problems when renaming the backups, but in my opinion it's better safe than sorry, especially if you are new to rooting.

I rename all backups before saving them, with and without spaces. I don't change the names after they are saved though. I am guessing that the latest update of ROM Manager allows you to change names.

Back
Top Bottom