• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Questions about rooting

814 htc evo

Android Enthusiast
Okay iv been contemplating for quite some time about to root or not to root my s3 and I want to root but I want to get the new firmware that we all want but never can get until months later thanks to our carriers.. those are the type of roms I'd like to stick with preferably stable ones that won't brick my phone. So I need to first learn how to root and backup the stock rom? Then need suggestions to help me with my rom choice like any android 4.3 upcoming roms that type of thing?

Theres no 4.3 roms for the s3 yet mate and no really stable touchwiz based 4.2.2 but theres some excellent and stable non-touchwiz 4.2.2 ones.
The main question to think about is do you use/need any of the unique samsung touchwiz features or not?

For a rooting and installing custom recovery guide, check out the forum at the top of this page for your carrier version. Theyre all different models with different methods and roms :thumbup:

Well touchwiz doesn't really tickle my fancy all that well, but I would like to make sure I have my stock rom backed up prior to rooting. And I figured there wasn't any 4.3 roms yet I was just referencing stable 4.2 and up roms.

cool theres some amazing aosp based roms for the s3 man youll love it.
Thing is, until you root and install custom recovery, you cant make a backup image of the phone.
What carrier version are u on?
Rooting a samsung is mega-safe btw :beer:

Iv been looking at cyanogen they seem to be legitimate and cool but not sure how to go about getting the latest on my device safely

Yeah cyanogen is a good rom to start with. Theyre the biggest and theres a lot of other dev teams who build their roms from cyanogen (CM) code.
Check out the stickies in the Sprint All Things Root forum. Theres probably a guide to rooting there and it will be a simple matter of flashing a file to your phone using the Odin program on your pc :thumbup:

Back
Top Bottom