• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

RAM management...

androidlover9

Android Enthusiast
Anyone else notice that the RAM management on this phone is atrocious? Apps close even though I still have a GB of RAM free but the phone decides to close the ones I have open in my recent apps menu... Completely unacceptable for a phone with 3 GB of RAM, and I seem to have random apps open in the background that I don't want to be open too :/

I do a lot of switching between apps and I haven't had a problem. Isn't RAM management a function of the Android OS?

I do a lot of switching between apps and I haven't had a problem. Isn't RAM management a function of the Android OS?

When you only have five apps in your recent apps menu the last thing in the world you should expect is for them to close on you for no reason.

That's strange. I don't recall reading about any RAM management problems in Android 5.1.1 nor do recall reading about any Moto apps causing a problem. Are you running a memory management app? What five apps are you running when one gets killed unexpectedly?

That's strange. I don't recall reading about any RAM management problems in Android 5.1.1 nor do recall reading about any Moto apps causing a problem. Are you running a memory management app? What five apps are you running when one gets killed unexpectedly?

The apps were Textra, Chrome, Quizup, Skype, and facebook messenger (the chat heads anyway).

Here's a pure guess ... he is running a separate app that it performing this "service". (Anything installed form Cheetah Software Mobiler?)

... Thom

I do think that the RAM is being calculated strangely. I use Clean Master to help manage junk and RAM. When I was on my 2013 Moto X, the 2 GB of RAM stayed at around 58% used. With this 2015 Pure Edition, I have fewer apps installed/running, yet Clean Master consistently says I am using 75-80% of 3 GB of RAM. Not sure how that's even possible. I was expecting to be at 30-40% RAM usage with the extra GB. Seems strange to me.....Is there a way to check RAM usage in the settings?

Yeah, but why does it close the apps that I have open in my recent apps menu but keep some apps that I haven't used in say over 24 hours? :/

And I'm not worried about how much ram is being used, what I'm worried about is how it says I have a whole GB of ram that is not being used yet the phone still refuses to keep that many apps open/open some of them at a fast speed.

I do think that the RAM is being calculated strangely. I use Clean Master to help manage junk and RAM. When I was on my 2013 Moto X, the 2 GB of RAM stayed at around 58% used. With this 2015 Pure Edition, I have fewer apps installed/running, yet Clean Master consistently says I am using 75-80% of 3 GB of RAM. Not sure how that's even possible. I was expecting to be at 30-40% RAM usage with the extra GB. Seems strange to me.....Is there a way to check RAM usage in the settings?

As stated in about 1000 posts here on Android Forums ... it is strongly recommended that you don't use Clean Master (or any other product of Cheetah Software Mobile). The information reported from Clean Master is randomly made up.

Yeah, but why does it close the apps that I have open in my recent apps menu but keep some apps that I haven't used in say over 24 hours? :/

And I'm not worried about how much ram is being used, what I'm worried about is how it says I have a whole GB of ram that is not being used yet the phone still refuses to keep that many apps open/open some of them at a fast speed.

Is this happening consistently? Is it possible you had a very large app loaded or app that was using a large amount of space, loaded apps that were not running were deleted to make room, you stopper using the large RAM user, a smaller app was loaded and the large RAM user app was removed to allow it. You then run the report and see this large empty space?

... Thom

It's been about two hours and I still have the eight apps displayed in my recent apps menu. Since you're not running a memory management app I don't know what could be causing your problem. The only app in your list that I've never used is Quizup. Try not running Quizup and see if that app might be causing the problem.

In response to @macgiobuin, you can use Settings > Apps > Running and Settings > Developer options > Process Stats.

As stated in about 1000 posts here on Android Forums ... it is strongly recommended that you don't use Clean Master (or any other product of Cheetah Software Mobile). The information reported from Clean Master is randomly made up.

Is this happening consistently? Is it possible you had a very large app loaded or app that was using a large amount of space, loaded apps that were not running were deleted to make room, you stopper using the large RAM user, a smaller app was loaded and the large RAM user app was removed to allow it. You then run the report and see this large empty space?

... Thom

Ehh you know what... I'll just do a factory reset after Marshmallow comes out, I can live with it I suppose.

It's been about two hours and I still have the eight apps displayed in my recent apps menu. Since you're not running a memory management app I don't know what could be causing your problem. The only app in your list that I've never used is Quizup. Try not running Quizup and see if that app might be causing the problem.

In response to @macgiobuin, you can use Settings > Apps > Running and Settings > Developer options > Process Stats.

They are still in my recent apps menu, but when I select them they have to reload the app which angers me.

Back
Top Bottom